Please sign in to post.

Rome to Naples

Any advice on the quickest way to get to Naples from Trastevere by train? We’re staying at Il Convento in the Spanish Quarter & unable to do much walking. Thank you!

Posted by
160 posts

Which station does the train leave out of? Can I take a train from Trastevere? Is there more than one train station in Naples? Know the best way to get to the Spanish Quarter?
What online site has up to date information on concerts & events in May for Naples?

Thanks!

Posted by
2454 posts

According to the Trenitalia website, most of the trains to Naples leave from the Roma Termini station, with a handful leaving from Roma Ostiense or Roma Tiburtina. Are you asking for the best way to get to the train station? I couldn’t quite make out exactly where you’re staying - if you could clarify, that would be helpful. Additionally, it looks like all the trains go to Napoli Centrale.

Ah - Il Convento in Naples. I thought you meant Rome. It looks like you could take the Line 1 metro from Napoli Centrale to your lodgings.

But, are you also looking for how to get to your lodgings in Rome to the train station?

Posted by
10200 posts

We took an Italo train this morning: Termini to Naples Centrale. It took just under an hour. You can take a taxi to Rome Termini. No, it doesn't stop anywhere else, just those two.

Posted by
4876 posts

Go to the Trenitalia website. Enter Roma (tutti le statione) and Napoli (tutti le statione). Pick any date within the next month and an early morning hour. It will show all of their trains. Most will leave from Roma Termini and arrive at Napoli Centrale, which I think is the closest station to your hotel. Look on Google maps. If you dont want to walk from there, take a taxi.

Posted by
3812 posts

In Naples there are 11 railway stations, but 90% of high speed trains from northern Italy call at Napoli Centrale.

Why don't you put Roma Trastevere in the from field on trenitalia.com , the Naples' station closest to your hotel in the To field, click "search" and see what the results are? If you can't find the station close to the Spanish district, use Napoli Centrale.

Only the official site knows by heart the quickest route any day at all departure hours.

Trenitalia has uploaded the high speed trains schedules up to August 30 or so. Use a day of travel before June 11 only if you wan to compare Trenitalia's and Italotreno's schedules and prices.

Posted by
6079 posts

Have your hotel in Trastevere call for a taxi.

Take taxi to Roma Termini- shouldn't be much more than 15 euros.
Roma Termini to Napoli Centrale with whatever ticket you have purchased- Trenitalia and ItaloTreno both run fast trains.

https://www.trenitalia.com/content/tcom/en.html
https://www.italotreno.it/en

Exit the Naples station and take a taxi to your Naples lodging. Hand the driver your lodging address on a piece of paper.

If you are using credit card for taxis- show the card to confirm with driver (they are all required to take plastic)

Print this Naples Taxi Rates sheet and show to driver in Naples.
https://www.napoliunplugged.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Tariffe_taxi_2017.pdf

Posted by
27138 posts

Are you staying at Il Convento on Via Speranzella in Naples? That's about equidistant from the Municipio and Toledo Metro stations, but they're probably farther than you'll want to walk, especially with luggage. Grabbing a taxi at Napoli Centrale seems like the best plan.

Another thing to be aware of is that the blocks west of Via Toledo (you're about 2 blocks west) don't usually have anything we'd call a sidewalk, and the street pavement isn't smooth. You'll mostly be walking on paving stones that aren't flat on top, which seemed to get somewhat slippery when wet. Don't hurry when walking in that area, especially if it has been raining. There will be a lot of bumping around if you try to roll suitcases over to Via Toledo.

Posted by
160 posts

Thank you to EVERYONE who responded to my post! You have ALL given me valuable information & I feel like I can make knowledgeable decisions about our travel from Trastevere to Naples!!
I appreciate your help!!

Posted by
16312 posts

Taxi from your location in Trastevere to Roma Termini train station is definitely your best bet. If you are staying T. Hotel in Trastevere, ask them to call a cab for you. If you are staying in an apartment or guesthouse without a reception desk, you may have to call one yourself. Or you can walk to the nearest taxi stand and find one there (which is what we did when in Rome). Then be sure to tell the driver you want Roma Termini station.

You cannot just hail a cab on the street in Rome.