Please sign in to post.

Rome to Montepulciano

Next Spring we'll be traveling from Rome to Montepulciano as part of our itinerary. The distance between to two is not that far and if we leave Rome when we have to vacate our Airbnb, we'll get to Montepulciano way too early to check in to our Airbnb there. We really don't like to sight-see while toting our luggage and such, so I'm thinking of A) hiring a private driver for the trip, who can also, B) take us to some towns/sites along the way, to chew up time so to speak. So my two questions are:

1) Has anyone used a private transfer service (car) to get from Rome to somewhere else, and if so, can recommend one?
2) Any interesting towns/sites to visit between Rome and Montepulciano, even if its only to have lunch and stroll around?

Thanks.

Posted by
870 posts

You are going to need a car. So why not store your luggage at the Termini station, walk around for a bit and have lunch, then rent one; drive about 1.5 hours.

Posted by
2922 posts

Are you sure you can't drop off your bags at your Airbnb when you arrive in Montelpulciano? I would still ask even though it's too early to check in.

Posted by
45 posts

We stopped at Orvieto on the way from Rome to Siena and it was well worth it and you can easily spend 3-4 hours there.

Posted by
28 posts

We used Tuscany Car Tours to go from Rome to Montepulciano. We did not stop along the way as that was our destination, followed by a stop in Montalcino on our way to Florence. Our driver was great, accommodating and very knowledgeable about the area. Contact Filippo at info@tuscanycartours.com