Please sign in to post.

Rome to Florence

We are looking at spending 11 nights in Italy in 2011.

We have spent time previously in Rome, Maiori (Amafi), Florence & Venice.

On this trip, I would like to spend 6 nights in Rome and 5 Florence.

I would spend most of the 6 days seeing as much of Rome as possible. I am planning not to leave Rome for those days.

I would like to do almost daily road trips out of Florence to the Tuscany hill towns.

I would like to hear any comments from others that have done a trip on your own using train and bus service for your transportation.

Our last trip to Italy was a whirlwind tour. I want to slow down and savor Italy by staying in 2 areas for a much longer period of time.

I would love to extend the trip either to the Dolomites or the lake district but becuase 11 nights is all I have, I don't want to turn this trip into another whirlwind with too many hotel changes.

Any comments are welcomed.

Posted by
1003 posts

If your plan is to leave florence every day, why not rent a car and stay in a farmhouse somewhere in the countryside? I did that for 8 days last year and it was a truly fantastic experience. Then if you did want to go into florence for a day, you can always park in a town close by and take a short train ride in.

Or are you asking about public transportation because you're trying to avoid renting a car? A lot of the best hill towns are not easily accessible by public transport, and private tours are very expensive.

Either way I applaud the effort to slow down, I think you will see Italy in a whole new light and love it even more :)

Posted by
864 posts

We rent a "Villa" (read converted farm outbuilding) outside of Florence for a week most, but not always, every year. We can take our rental car to the local village and take a direct bus into Florence. Many days we drive to a hill village and tour one of those (many are only a two or three hour drive). Have a GREAT lunch and then return "home". The villa gives you the opportunity to have a relaxed breakfast on your own terms and well, what we love is to fix our own dinner using what is fresh from the local co-op. We relax outside watching the sunset and then maybe it's a co-op pasta, a fresh grilled fish and salad, well you get the idea. Oh and you can have some vino and not worry about driving!

Posted by
2257 posts

Check out villalapergola.com just outside of Florence.

Posted by
33 posts

Also, from Florence there a bus tours that go out for a day to one or two towns. We did not do that becauswe we rented a Villa for a week and just drove from there but....if you do not want the hassle of renting the car, then you could do a few day tours via tour bus.

Posted by
132 posts

We did about the same thing last November. Only 4 nights in Florence, 5 Rome. We started in Florence

We flew in through Rome. Bought train tickets at the airport train station. (in case our flight was delayed.) Changed trains in Rome.

Someone mentioned Ron in Rome. He had great information to speed up getting to the train station, buying tickets, and making connections.

Our plane arrived in Rome about 8 or so. We got to Florence, walked to our hotel, and were settling in early afternoon. We stayed in Florence.

This was our first time to Florence; so we only took one day trip out. (Siena, San Gimignano, a winery, and Pisa. Would have loved more time in Siena and San Gimi.)

There were also things we didn't but would like to have seen in Florence, as the Science Museum, which is supposed to have some of Galileo's possessions, telescope etc.

We grabbed the train back to Rome about 11. No reservations. Got to Rome early afternoon. Only problem was figuring out the legit taxi drivers at the Rome station. We wound up with one of the cons. The legits are way better and cheaper. But we got there.

In Rome we did things a little different from most. We had reservations for the Vatican Museum, and Borghese (Our hotel was near Trajans Market.) We had the hotel call a cab, which would drop us off at the Museum. Then we'd slowly walk back to the hotel, exploring what was between there and the hotel. Navonne Square, Pantheon, Ponte St Angelo etc.

Hope that helps.

Have fun,

Posted by
1538 posts

Agree that if you want to savor Italy (or anywhere for that matter) it's best to stay more nights. Last year we spent 5 nights in Siena, 5 nights in Florence, and 7 nights in Rome. We took one day trip out of Siena to San Gimignano using public bus and it was great. We spent all of our time in Florence, lots of museums and churches to see, but took an afternoon bus ride to Fiesole. We spent all 7 days in Rome. We found the longer stay in each town allowed us to get a real feel for the town and to enjoy the sites at our own pace and found public transportation, both bus and trains, to be very convenient.