Please sign in to post.

Rome to Florence day trip

We're going to Rome in November and would like to schedule a Sunday day trip to Florence, just for the Uffizi and David. Is this feasible? So far I'm looking at RailEurope for train tickets, but I'm a little worried about strikes. Would a day trip by train work or should we be trying to get a car and driver? (If so, does anybody have a recommendation?) I haven't been to Italy in many years, and my husband has never been, so we will appreciate any advice.

Kathie

Posted by
5330 posts

High speed rail will be faster than car and driver. The rail companies are Trenitalia and Italo. Use their websites, not a 3rd party. Be aware that you should have pre booked timed tickets for both the Accademia and Uffizi.

Posted by
21 posts

I think you will be fine for a day trip. Follow the advice above and the ride will be about an hour and a half by train. The attractions you listed are close to each other and not far from the train. Florence is small. You can do it in a day, especially if you have times reserved. If I were going I would see the David first. Not much to see there other than that. Then I would go to the Uffizi, this way you have time to walk the museum. It is a fantastic museum with so many wonderful exhibits. I am lost for the day in there whenever I am lucky enough to be in Florence. Funny, I usually home-base in Florence then go to Rome for the day. Hope it all works out. Be safe in your travels.

Posted by
2549 posts

I would also visit the Duomo Museum and if possible Santa Croce church - 2 of my favorite places and no reserved time necessary

Posted by
15 posts

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. We will be going to Florence for the day Sunday Nov 17 so hope trains will be ok.

Kathie

Posted by
69 posts

I second Santé Croce if you have time. It was my favorite church when I was there 25 years ago, and just last summer when I returned. Start the day at David (a must see) as suggested and then explore after that. Have a great trip!

Posted by
4764 posts

Check the Man in Seat 61 he probably discusses such a trip since it seems pretty common