Please sign in to post.

Rome to Florence by Train

Hi,

My wife and I are honeymooning from the states and have booked a train to Florence from Tome for the second leg of our trip. She is a heavy packer and I'm trying to understand what we can size and number of suitcases we can bring. Any info appreciated.

Thank you,

Posted by
3812 posts

It's not a plane: If you can carry it by yourselves, you can bring it on.

Assuming you have booked an high speed train, note that there are no intermediate stops between Florence and Rome. So the space in front of any empty seat close to your seats will be a potential luggage space for your wife.

Posted by
2502 posts

There are no limits, other than what you can carry onto the train and fit into the limited spots for luggage while dozens of other people are doing the same thing. Good luck!

Posted by
1210 posts

As others have noted: you are limited only by what you can carry. That means: in Rome, if you have a taxi drop you at Termini rail station, you will have to carry the bags, unaided, down a long central corridor, then out what might be 200 or more feet down the train platform, then up three steep narrow stairs into the train (while surrounded by lots of other people jostling to do the same), then move the bags down a narrow corridor in the train carriage to your seat. When you arrive in Florence, reverse this process. Note that when you book seats on a fast train (“freccia”) between Rome and Florence (Roma and Firenze on the website or app), you will have an assigned train car (carriage) and seat. The carriages’ numbers are marked on the side of the cars. Be sure to enter your specific carriage so that you don’t have to try to move those bags through multiple cars.

Posted by
37 posts

One suitcase and one small backpack! Figure out which one she can carry easily and by herself and everything fits in it. Traveling will be so much more enjoyable.

Posted by
423 posts

Hello,

Having been to Europe many times, and seeing people struggle/drag large heavy suitcases on cobblestone streets and steep stairs, I advise you not to pack heavy! Your suitcases on trains will have to go on the racks by the exit doors and will be too large to fit in the overheads-It is not pleasant to drag large heavy suitcases on uneven cobblestone streets. There are many flights of steps at train and metro stations, and some have no lifts (elevators),,,Carryon luggage is the way to go!

Posted by
1566 posts

When a trip involves a train leg, I step down my luggage one size. The bag is yours to manage and you will have to lift it; in airports the check-in counters and the luggage belts are much closer to entrance/exit doors.