Please sign in to post.

Rome to Florence

Is it worth traveling to Florence from Rome for one day?

Posted by
3551 posts

Use your extra day in Rome. Florence is so spectacular that it warrants at least 3 days anyway. and the train rides would be a waste of good sightseeing time in Rome or Ostica antica just outside Rome. There are no shortage of fantastic sights or museums in Rome alone.

Posted by
6898 posts

Most everybody will recommend more time in the fabulous Italian cities - especially Rome, Florence and Venice. If you really can't find enough to do in Rome, the non-stop Eurostar can get you to Florence from Rome in 1hr.40min one-way. You can do a long day in Florence and take a late Eurostar back to Rome. Only by pure luck or carefully planned advance tickets could you get into the Accademia or the Uffizi. Still, it's possible.

Interestingly, travelers day trip from Rome down to Pompeii and Sorrento. Both these places take much longer on the trains than it does to day trip to Florence (2.5hrs and 3.5hrs one-way).

Posted by
705 posts

I think you would be disappointed. Even with a long day you will only scratch the surface of Florence. I did a day trip to Siena a few years ago and have been wanting to return for a longer period ever since. Yes I did see the cathedral and did a walking tour but there was so much I missed. It's was a bit frustrating.

Posted by
166 posts

Hi Barbara

I think it depends on how many days’ you are staying in Rome...

I totally empathize with wanting to squeeze stuff into the itinerary (traveling to Europe is expensive!). I think it's doable if you have realistic expectations (and specifically that you make reservations for the Accademia!).

In order to not feel rushed and chaotic, and to not take away from your experience in Rome itself, I would only make the trip if I were staying atleast 4 nights in Rome. But that's just my personal preference, and everyone's is different. Good luck in whatever you decide!