Please sign in to post.

Rome to Civitavecchia

What is the best way to get from Rome to Civitavecchia?

Posted by
23343 posts

Depends on your definition of best. We always use the train - cheap and convenient.

Posted by
4152 posts

I agree with Frank, it depends on your definition of best. My In-laws prefer a private driver, I prefer the train. It really depends on what you're looking for. Donna

Posted by
23343 posts

That because Donna and I are cheap. We have made that run five times and find the train to be very convenient. However, having just a carryon bag is beneficial.

Posted by
24 posts

I'm cheap too so we're all talking the same language. Thanks for your help. I'll be giving the trains a good look over.

Posted by
7737 posts

Raymond, have you checked out the link that I posted? It's RonInRome, an amazing source of information. Here's how it starts out:
On many travel boards, the questions are often asked, "We're staying in Rome and need to get to the cruise port, Civitavecchia for our cruise the next day?" What is the easiest or best option?

Posted by
53 posts

Depends on how many people and how much luggage you have. If you are in the touristy area of Rome, there is no direct train. Instead, you have to take a taxi or bus or tube to get to the train station. It also takes longer to do this than to hire a taxi.

Posted by
24 posts

Michael, I checked out Rons site and it's a great site full of information for travellers. Thanks for pointing out to me.

Posted by
24 posts

We'd like to stay in Civitavecchia getting there be train. Does anyone have recommendations hotel wise? We'd like to spend about $100 per night. It'll be just my wife and I. We're boarding the ship there so it'll be convenient.

Posted by
23343 posts

There is a really no advantage to staying in Civit... It is a small port town with min facilities. There are some motels south along the coast. Try Trip Advisor to find them.. But you will still have to take the train from Rome to Civit...., then a taxi to the hotels and back to the port. Just have to spend a boring night in a marginal hotel. Far better to stay in Rome.