Please sign in to post.

Rome to Amalfi Coast

Will be travelling 10 Sept Rome to coast by train. thinking of staying in Sorrento . what is best way to scoot about. want to see Positano and area . Any suggestions, is it best to rent a "vespa" or are there boat shuttles that act like a bus service. Have found a few companies online that offer private boats but very costly. Im sure there is lots of info in Rick's tour book , have just ordered and awaiting for its arrival. Also we are arriving very late in Rome and have decided to stay at the B & B Hotel Roma Fiumicino Aeroporto. they offer shuttle but we arrive too late. Any idea how the licensed drivers feel about short rides.
thank you for your replies

Posted by
15826 posts

If you arrive too late to make your way to Sorrento on the day of arrival, I would stay at a hotel near the Termini station, that way the next morning you are near where you depart from.
If you take the train (Leonardo Express) from the airport you can be at Roma Temini in 32 minutes (Frequency varies depending on time of day, and ranges between 15 and 60 min) for 14€ pp. the last train departs shortly before midnight, but taxicabs operate 24 hours a day (50€ ride).

Posted by
15826 posts

From Sorrento you can visit the Amalfi coast by bus, albeit they tend to get crowded at certain times of day in high season. You can also rent Vespas (or e-bikes), but the road (and especially the traffic) is treacherous if you are not an experienced motorcycle rider.
There should be ferry service available in September between Sorrento and the Amalfi coast. There are several ferry companies operating the boats, the individual company names are in the website below. But there are also website consolidators that show schedules for all companies. I doubt boats operate now in winter so you might have to wait.
https://www.ravello.com/it/orari-traghetti/sorrento/positano/

Posted by
80 posts

I just booked an Amalfi Coast shared ride with Mondo/Rick Steves for a lot less than a private driver. Hoping it's a good way to travel.
By the way, Roberto...how busy are the Amalfi coast Sita buses in April vs September? We've never attempted to take them. Thank you.

Posted by
5407 posts

We were on the AC May, 2023. We saw lines and lines of folks waiting for the SITA buses, and - that was May. Folks told us April was just as bad.
There is no shoulder season in the AC anymore.
Safe travels!

Posted by
4425 posts

We were there in the last 2 weeks of April 2023 and the lines for the bus in Positano were so long they were blocking traffic resulting in only one lane behind open for traffic in both directions to share.

Rent a Vespa at your risk. I saw a few, but the heavy traffic and hairpin turns will mean your concentrating on the road and you won't be able to enjoy the views.

There is no easy way to scoot around the Amalfi Coast, cars, ferries, buses can be chaotic and confusing.

Posted by
16364 posts

Monica, "scoot about" definitely isn't a phrase that applies to the Amalfi Coast, especially not during high season, which is when you'll be there. It's a "pack your patience" kinda destination. Vespa? Another definitely not unless you have extensive prior experience and very good travel medical coverage. Nope, the risk of ruining a great vacation in a bang-up would be too great for me!

But you CAN get around! Just plan on it taking some time and, well, patience and more patience. The ferries will be running to all locations between Sorrento and Salerno (Positano, Capri, Amalfi, Minori, etc) unless the weather is really foul and the sea too choppy for safety. They don't really operate as shuttles - I'm unaware of multi-ride passes - and aren't necessarily inexpensive but my stomach prefers them to road travel in that region. Pompeii is easily reached by cheap-and-battered commuter train from Sorrento, and Naples as well if up for a day exploring the city. SITA buses will be busy but are an option too.

But how many days are you going to have for this adventure? How many nights will you have to stay in Sorrento? I guess i'm asking if case you're thinking of just an overnight. And where are you going afterward? A more complete picture might help us to help you better. :O)