Please sign in to post.

rome side trips

i will be in rome on business with a few days free for day trips, and i am wondering if i can do civita and orvieto 1 day and cortona another day?
i will most likely drive myself, any other suggestions for interesting stops would be great, thank you.

Posted by
3112 posts

Orvieto is about a 1.5 hour drive north of Rome, just off the A1 motorway, and Civita is a half hour drive from Orvieto. You can easily combine them in a day trip by car. Cortona is another hour north of Orvieto, so plan on 5 hours of driving if you decide to go there. You could combine Cortona with a stop in Chiusi (which you'll pass) for Etruscan art or Assisi (slight detour). If Cortona sounds like too long a drive, the fast train gets you to Florence in about 1.5 hours. That's an alternate day trip well worth considering.

Posted by
1317 posts

If you like Roman ruins/ancient Rome and haven't been, go to Ostia Antica if the weather is good. You can even do this as just half a day from Rome, saving the rest of the time for some other activity.

Don't bother to drive there. Use the metro/train combination explained by Rick in his Ostia Antica article on this site. I really enjoyed getting a much clearer idea of what a Roman town would have looked like, as the ruins are in MUCH better condition than in Rome proper.

I've also been to Orvieto and enjoyed that very much. We didn't go to Civita, but it's close by, so should not be too difficult to get to, especially with a car.