Please sign in to post.

Rome restaurants

Has anyone had any experience with the restaurants that are recommended in Rick Steves Rome book? When I cross reference to trip advisor, some of these places arent ranked highly. But , then again, the top rated on trip advisor is called "my ale"...

Posted by
15835 posts

Wow.

While I can't help you with quality of restaurants in the RS book (probably haven't eaten at any of them) neither have we paid 50 euro apiece anywhere in Rome. At the same time I don't waste a lot of energy researching places to eat - that's not our focus - so while we're sightseeing, we might stop and scan the menus (almost always posted outside) of places which look interesting. Has dinner always been brilliant? No, but neither have they been so bad that we've walked away hungry or feeling the day was spoiled.

We had a good meal here:

http://pizzeriapiccolobuco.it
(Copy paste Italian text into google or bing translate)

https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloBuco/

Posted by
3874 posts

We just returned from Rome in February and ate at a few of Rick's recommendations:
Enoteca Corsi - near Pantheon, lunch only
Trattoria der Pallaro near campo de Fiore - no menu whatever they cook
Pizzeria Dar Poeta - Trastervere
We also ate at Fiaschetteria Baltramme rec. by Fodor (they also recommend the 3 by Rick above)
Near the Pantheon also was La Locanda del Tempio, a little higher priced but really good.
And by Circo Maximus we ate at Osteria Circo
We had a quick lunch at Caffe Dello students recommend by rick, but it is outdoor seating only.
I really can't say we had a bad meal in Rome, just some more delicious than the others.

Posted by
524 posts

We walked by Da Fortunato by the Pantheon and I remembered it was in the book. That place was bustling and very nice inside. Our food was delicious.

Posted by
11346 posts

I really can't say we had a bad meal in Rome, just some more delicious than the others.

Exactly, Barbara! We lived there for nearly 5 years and most of our dining out experience was excellent, although most of our favorites are far from the center. For an unbelievably local experience, take a cab to La Fraschetta del Pesce. You will be the only tourists there. A reservation is mandatory. Another we love that is easy to get to on public transportation (Tram #19) is Taverna Rossini in Parioli. There will be a few tourists, but mostly locals. Also I recommend, Dar Poeta, Pizzeria Da Remo, and Pizzeria La Pratolina. The latter requires a reservation a few days in advance.

Posted by
1949 posts

No offense, but the first poster after the OP is way off base...(edit--that post has since been deleted...)

We just got back from Rome. Have no idea where this poster dined, but I'll say that the neighborhood places--in various areas of the city--provided very good to fabulous meals, at a cost averaging 40-50 Euro total for 1 appetizer, 1 salad, 2 pastas, 1 dessert, and a half-carafe of house wine. The best place we found--a Sicilian joint named Elle Effe near Campo de' Fiori--we had never heard of, and as we were walking back to the apartment I saw the owner outside and struck up a conversation with him. That's how it happens.

Rome is a great eating town!

Posted by
3112 posts

I've eaten at several Rome restaurants listed in Rick's guidebooks, but certainly not all of them. I generally get a good meal at his recommended restaurants, although some I like better than others (a matter of personal taste). I find his recommendtions a safer bet than than just stopping someplace that "looks good," which can be hit-or-miss. None I've gone to serve 50 euro spaghetti-o's or even charge 50 euro for a nice multi-course meal. However some listings, like Da Fortunata where I've not dined, may be on the higher end pricewise.

Posted by
7737 posts

I've found Rick's restaurant recs to be pretty iffy - Some are very good - others not so much. One tip I've learned is this one: The shorter the menu, the better the food. Another tip - If you can stroll by the restaurant you're considering some evening in advance, look to see how full it is. The fuller, the better. (But that also means you might have trouble getting a reservation.) If you find one you like while strolling, step inside to make a reservation for the next night.

Posted by
11613 posts

Yes, the spaghetti-o poster lately tends to post something provocative and then take it down. Maybe just getting it of his/.her chest is enough...

Posted by
1949 posts

But you know, the whole cost thing of a meal in Rome, is a topic worth discussing.

We did not have a quote-unquote 'expensive' meal on our trip, only because we were perfectly satisfied with what was available within walking distance. We would walk to Antica Forno Roscioli bakery for some pastries and rolls, and geez, they had incredible burrata/pesto or sausage/broccoli pizza slices, on different kinds of crusts! I think 3 Euro apiece (actually it was for 2 slices of each), and we just sat on the stools and people-watched. But enjoy it while you can. Next day, same time, neither pizza available.

I did have a pricey (and highly-regarded on the boards) place, Renata e Luisa, targeted as a 'last night in Rome' place if we wanted to go. But we liked the close-by Sicilian joint so much, we had just gotten back from a daytrip to Orvieto and were tired, so we just went back there instead. Perfectly happy.

I had thought Florence was a town I could eat well cheaply from our apartment stay two years ago, but I believe Roma has got Firenze beat.

Posted by
20 posts

We just got back from our fourth trip with the kids to Rome. We have used the RS guidebooks each time. You can trust his recommendations. I also have found Katie Parla's blog, and Elizabeth Minchelli's blog to be highly trustworthy. Tripadvisor is suspect in my experience in Rome.

Here are some RS recommended places we ate at this trip. Trattoria Luzzi, Da Francesco, Forno Roscioli, Forno Feliziani. Cremeria Monteforte, Fatamorgana, Old Bridge for gelato. Zia Rosetta for sandwiches. And Fabbi on Via della Croce for a special picnic. All thumbs up.