Please sign in to post.

Rome on Sunday

Any suggestions? Not interested in churches besides the Sistine Chapel..we love history and archaeology. thanks

Posted by
7737 posts

Almost all the museums are open on Sundays. It's Monday that's the bigger challenge, as they're almost all closed then. I recommend the National Museum of Rome at Palazzo Massimo, near the Termini. It's a real underappreciated gem of a museum. There's a self-guided tour in the RS Rome book. If you don't have that book yet, do yourself a favor and get a copy. Look for the Daily Reminder, around page 24, which lists what is closed by day of the week. Happy travels. You're going to the perfect place if you love history and archaeology. Consider a daytrip out to Ostia Antica for the near-equivalent of Pompeii without the crowds.

Posted by
23457 posts

Appian Way. The traffic is highly restricted on Sunday so that you can actually ride a bike without being run over. One of the catacombs is open and you can rent bikes from a vendor on the Appian Way. It is worth the day.

Posted by
2207 posts

I'd agree with Frank - the Appian Way is great on Sundays. You might also head to the Aqueduct Park in Rome, easily accessible by metro or bus. We spent many Sundays in Villa Borghese or Villa Ada - two wonderful parks. Borghese is far more "organized" and has great facilities for picnics or just to people-watch. As suggested, Ostia Antica is great. We often take a lunch and wine and sit at the top of the amphitheater. Also close by Rome - since you like archaelogy - is Villa Adriana . Coupled with Tivoli and Villa d'Este, it can be a full and rewarding day. If you do go to the National Museum, as recommended, start at the top floor and work your way down! Some of the best items are on the highest floors. Our first time visiting, we were so "overwhelmed" that by the time we got to the upper floors we were "museumed out!"

Posted by
7737 posts

I agree about starting at the top of the National Museum. That's where they have the reconstructed ancient Roman rooms. It's amazing to see, and gives you a sense of how the upper class lived back then.

Posted by
653 posts

Karen, you might consider the Jewish Ghetto as well. Rome has the oldest documented Jewish community in Europe. The Museum has a film and a tour of the Synagogue.