Please sign in to post.

Rome neighbourhoods

Hi
We are going to Rome in January and am looking at 2 good airbnbs. One is in the SanGiovanni Neighbourhood, the other one is near the spanish steps( this one has no elevator and has 5 flights of steps to get to the apartment)
Would appreciate anyone's thoughts on the 2 places

thanks

Posted by
332 posts

I prefer the Spanish Steps location but wouldn’t stay there bc of the 5 flights with no elevator. I would look for something close to Via del Corso on the Pantheon side. The San Giovanni location is pretty far from most sights I would be interested in.

Posted by
2085 posts

Try the Testaccio neighborhood. Several Airbnbs in the neighborhood, many with elevators. The neighborhood is well connected by public transportation to other areas in Rome. Plus many excellent Roman restaurants.

Posted by
11499 posts

We always stay near the Pantheon or Piazza Navona in Rome. Friends always stay in Travestere. Our very first time in Rome we stayed near the Spanish Steps and neither we nor our friends liked staying in that area.
Five floors high and no elevator sounds very unappealing to me.
The San Giovanni location is preferable.

Posted by
1034 posts

Last month I had to navigate four flights of steps when returning to our very nice apt near the Pantheon - not a deal-breaker, but not fun after a day of intensive Roman walking. If you're near a Metro stop in San Giovanni, that would make access to other areas of the city easier.

One day I walked from our second apt in Trastevere to Mercato Testaccio - you are away from the touristic center, and there appeared to be an issue with one of the trams, so it did feel a bit isolated. But it depends on the experience you are looking for - you would eat better in Testaccio, and mingle with more locals. But no major tourist sites outside your door.

Posted by
70 posts

thank you all for your replies. Is Monti a good location. or about 10 mins walking distance to the Collosseum good location.

Posted by
50 posts

I'm kind of biased because I once spent 3 months there, but I can't imagine staying anywhere but the Pantheon / Navona / Campo de Fiori neighborhood. It's super walkable, and packed with great things to see and top restaurants.

I visited in October with my wife and 2 adult kids, and we were very happy with 2 rooms at a decent price in the Hotel le Clarisse al Pantheon.

Posted by
27614 posts

I enjoyed staying in Monti earlier this year, but it's farther from a lot of tourist sights than hotels in the Piazza Navona/Pantheon area; the Colosseum and the Domus Aurea are obvious exceptions. Monti has quite a lot of restaurants that aren't overwhelmingly touristy. Note that the sidewalks between Termini Station and at least some hotels in Monti aren't in great shape, so pulling a rolling bag for more than half a mile can be a bit of a drag.