Please sign in to post.

Rome Neighborhoods

I will be traveling to Rome for the first time, and I am staying eight nights. I plan on using an Airbnb/VRBO, but I'm not sure which neighborhood. I just received the 2019 Guidebook for Rome and am leaning toward Trastevere. I also looked at some homes near the Appio-Latino area that is within walking distance to the Cattacombs, but I'm unsure. I'm middle-aged but enjoy nightlife and want to really experience what it's like to be in Rome.

I will use public transportation and may take an overnight trip to Florence but keep my place in Rome. Thanks for any advice or if you have stayed in a VRBO you would recommend, I would appreciate the guidance.

Posted by
405 posts

I stayed at an apartment in the Jewish Quarter (Piazza Costaguti ont he map) that I liked a lot, but depends on how many people and how much space you need. It's called the Rabbit Hole and good for one, maybe a couple if they really like each other. There's a bar area with small frig, coffee maker, etc. The host is great and readily available by text for advice and help with anything like transportation. I really liked the area. There is a walking street in the Ghetto with a bunch of restaurants that is perfect when you want to be out and about at night but not too far away from "home". It's also easy walk to Campo de Fiori where there is a morning market to pick up fruit for breakfasts and whatnot, and there was a grocery store nearby as well. It's close to the Pantheon and bus/trolley transportation near the busy road by Torre Argentina, and probably walkable to Trastevere as well. I only needed the bus to go to the Vatican and Villa Borghese. The area is close enough to all the tourist sites without feeling like you're surrounded by hotels (although Rome is big enough that this may not be a problem anywhere).

Posted by
4161 posts

I rented a place near the Vatican in 2017. It was a hard choice between it and a contender in Trastevere. The Vatican won due to proximity for a very early morning Sistine Chapel+ tour and the reviews that mentioned the noise experienced when staying in Trastevere.

I was very glad of my choice when I did an EatWith meal in Trastevere on Saturday night. The place was a zoo with lots of very drunk and loud young people. If you find a place there that is well-insulated, your love of nightlife might make it the neighborhood for you.

I found the place I rented and the Trastevere contenders by looking for apartments on Booking.com. The same apartments were also listed on VRBO and Airbnb. I checked those because sometimes they have more information or pictures. I didn't notice it at the time, but since then I've learned that Airbnb prices tend to be higher for the same place.

I like Booking.com because the reviews are done by people who have actually stayed in the places they review. I also like it because of all the filtering options. My favorite is Review Score and my requirement is 8 or higher.

Posted by
9 posts

We stayed in an apartment in Trastevere on Piazza di Santa Ruffina. Absolutely loved it. Close to restaurants, shopping, and the number 8 tram. I would highly recommend Trastevere.

Posted by
1949 posts

We stayed at an apartment right on Campo de' Fiori, relatively cheap. Near Trastevere, Jewish Quarter, Piazza Navona. 15-minute bus ride to Termini. We loved it.

Posted by
15848 posts

I also looked at some homes near the Appio-Latino area that is within
walking distance to the Cattacombs,

We haven't stayed in a VRBO in Rome but I'd be cautious not to book too far out in the Appio-Latino area? While the catacombs out there are interesting indeed, the majority of Rome's big attractions are closer in so I'd noodle on some of the areas provided in the previous posts.

Posted by
7737 posts

Whatever you do, don't stay in Appio/Latino. It's perfectly safe, just not at all what you're looking for. (Good for you for asking.)

Consider a taxi to get to the catacombs.

Posted by
15848 posts

Consider a taxi to get to the catacombs.

We hoofed a big section of the Appia that included one of the catacombs but we're reasonably seasoned hikers and the road is flat and easy. If you're not up to some miles on the shoes then a cab or public transport is advised.

Posted by
15244 posts

If you like a vibrant neighborhood with plenty of life in the evening, Trastevere is a great choice. That’s where I stay when I go to Rome.
Other areas of the Centro Storico (Campo de Fiori, Navona, Pantheon, Trevi, Spagna) are also great, but they tend to be more expensive, as they are the most touristed areas.

Posted by
494 posts

Trastevere is a very "touristed" area. Most everywhere in Rome is. It's a nice place to stay but don't expect to be the only tourist. In the evening the streets there are filled with swarms of people....just to set expectations.
After serving tourism for thousands of years, Rome is a tourist city everywhere.
Stay in an area that is convenient relative to your plans.

Posted by
1949 posts

After serving tourism for thousands of years, Rome is a tourist city
everywhere. Stay in an area that is convenient relative to your plans.

I disagree. Certainly, from May through probably October the areas with the popular historical attractions can be very crowded. But from November through April Rome absorbs the tourists about as well as any major city I've seen. Even in high season you can walk two blocks and get away from it, with so many winding, ancient streets.

And once you get out of the central historic district, there aren't that many tourists most any time of year. We spent some time a year ago last March north of Termini and Porta Pia, and there were absolutely no tourists at all, allowing us to visit areas like Villa Torlonia, St. Agnese & St. Costantia by ourselves. Magnificent.

Posted by
15244 posts

Trastevere has been discovered by tourists, but it’s not Piazza Navona or Piazza di Spagna either. Prices will reflect that too.

Posted by
7737 posts

Sorry, Mack, but Rome is not "a tourist city everywhere."

Mack is confusing the historical district of Rome with the city of Rome. The former is fairly compact and indeed heavy with tourists (as you would expect), while the latter is ENORMOUS. Probably >80% of the city of Rome is virtually devoid of tourists but that's because those neighborhoods aren't particularly interesting for tourists.

I bet you would really enjoy Trastevere, especially the northern section of it, near the Ponte Sisto.

Posted by
494 posts

So a couple peanut gallery comments related to my opinion that Rome is a tourist city. First, obviously almost anyone that is considering a visit to Rome will be visiting the historical and heavily visited areas. To suggest that the other areas surrounding are not visited as heavily is implicitly obvious...........
The OP does not mention when they are visiting so noting that visiting in the off-season will lower tourist traffic is in itself pretty obvious.
Setting expectations for a visit is important. To suggest that Trestevere is not deeply buried in tourists during the summer months (beginning in April based upon my experience) is very misleading and a disservice to the OP.

Posted by
60 posts

I’ve stayed in Monti and really enjoyed it. Sure, it’s busy traffic on Via Cavour, but otherwise a very quaint and local feel. For me, it did not feel touristy. There is a small piazza called Fountain of the Catechumens full of locals, especially out & about after work. Good Luck!

Posted by
305 posts

I stayed in an AirBnB in Campo de' Fiori, I liked the area. Later I moved to a convent next to Largo di Torre Argentina, called Santa Lucia Filippini. Both were in a great central location. How many beds and bathrooms are you looking for?