Please sign in to post.

Rome neighborhoods

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good area of Rome in which to look for a an AirBnB for my family of four?

Posted by
1944 posts

We stayed twice in the Campo de' Fiori area, with the wonderful daily market. Might be a little crowded in high season (we stayed there in October & February, respectively) but it was close to everything, and only two blocks from the bus to get to Termini.

Posted by
1662 posts

Hi sgh,

Check out The Roman Guy (neighborhood video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI1-8Y_9Mf8

Maybe check out their other videos too for a fun watch https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCobaqk2JEYLiBJAhJZG0Oiw

Sean, one of the original lead guides, narrates a lot of the TRG videos. They are fun to watch, have a lot of helpful and fun tips sprinkled with Sean's humor. In some videos, there is Bojan who is part of the company. He has a different sense of humor with his helpful information. I don't know Sean or Bojan personally. I just like to watch their videos.

Also, to get a good idea of the Piazzas in and around Rome and its neighborhoods, check out:
https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/lazio/roma.html

I've stayed in the Termini area (twice) in a very nice hotel - it's sort of hidden, quiet. You'd never know you're 'close' to Termini. Never had any issues. Never heard a peep.

For other travelers, some like to be in the center of things - Campo de' Fiori, Piazza Navona, Piazza di Spagna, Vaticano (Prati), and the Colosseo. It depends on your likes, the amenities you're looking for.

You mentioned AirBnB. So, perhaps go to booking.com to get an idea. From there, start to narrow down choices - price point, what they offer, what amenities are you looking for, closeness (walking, bus, metro < limited stops due to some stations being closed now) to what you're interested in, etc.

Posted by
110 posts

We stayed in the Monti neighborhood in the past and will stay there again in July. I love being able to walk to almost everything and it has a great feel to it. Lots of good restaurants and so much to see.

Posted by
7325 posts

There were 2 of us in our rental apartment for a week, but there will be other places that will accommodate your family in the Trastevere neighborhood, just west of the Tiber river and a quick bus ride into the center of Rome. Great markets there, and shops to buy fresh pasta, if you’re planning on fixing meals in your temporary home in Rome.

Posted by
227 posts

Stay in the Monti District. Close to main train station and top tourist attractions.

Posted by
85 posts

I loved my AirBnB in Trastevere, but I think it might be a bit small for a family of 4. I still highly recommend the neighborhood for lodging - fantastic restaurants and it feels much more local. It's also easy to reach the rest of Rome via bus. I was there 7 nights and liked being away from the main tourist areas. My second choice would be Monti, but I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to stay anywhere but Trastevere on future trips to Rome.

Posted by
110 posts

I would suggest googlemaps and look around the neighborhoods and see how far it is to what you want to see and do. Look at Airbnb see what's available and the cost, check out the apartments on googlemaps as well. The Roman Guy has some great videos on YouTube describing all of the neighborhoods along with numerous websites which describe the pros and cons of each area as well. There is a lot of information out there which should help you choose where the best area for you to stay.

Posted by
15573 posts

How long is your stay and how important is it to have good, close transportation?

Posted by
197 posts

It really depends on what your goals are. I'll be going to Rome in 2 weeks for the 9th or so time. Each time I go, I try to stay in a different neighborhood (this time Trastevere). All have advantages of their own. A few years ago, I wanted to stay near the colosseum, and really enjoyed that. However, if I had to pick a favorite, I would say near Piaza Navona/Campo De'Fiori would be my choice. If you are doing a lot of traveling in and out of Rome, I also enjoyed staying off Piazza Della Replublica area, not too far from Termini at a Hotel that has long been on Rick Steves Recommended list (can't recall name off hand - but I was there 3 times).

Bottom line, you pretty much can't go wrong in any neighborhood.

Glenn

Posted by
15782 posts

Pretty sure the OP's trip was last July so over and done...although neighborhood info might be helpful for others doing research.