Please sign in to post.

Rome itinerary help

We arrive in Rome around 3 in rhe afternoon after a 9 hr flight. Wondering what we can do that evening, some place to just hangout, grab a nice dinner(not too expensive). Would Piazza Navona or Trevi fountain be a good idea? Can we do both? We have two full days in Rome after this.

Posted by
27156 posts

You can attempt to see the Trevi Fountain. You may not get a great view of it. I happened to walk past it two or three times while I was in Rome in Feb-Mar this year, and there were always hundreds of people there. It's pretty big, so your view won't be totally blocked, and it will only be more crowded if you go back in the daytime, so I think it makes sense to try if you're in that area. I didn't go to Piazza Navona, so I can't comment on it. Simply walking around the historic center or Rome would be a fine activity as long as you can stay awake. Stopping for gelato might help.

Posted by
464 posts

Another area that we liked in addition to Piazza Navona and the Trevi Fountain was the area by the Spanish Steps near Piazza di Spagna. The Spanish Steps are beautiful and provide a lovely viewpoint over Rome.

Posted by
11169 posts

Walk to Piazza Navona, get an early casual meal and go to bed. There are lots of places to eat there.

Posted by
11335 posts

Take a shower, maybe a 30 minute nap, then get outside before dinner. Take a nice stroll like Rick Steves’ “Dolce Vita Stroll” which is in his Rome and Italy guidebooks. Stop for an aperitvo which usually comes with light munchies.

I think a walk keeps you lively before dinner, which should not be too early. Romans eat after 8:00 PM. The walking also helps you acclimate to the time of day.

There are many restaurants around the Piazza Navona area, but in the piazza itself it’s pretty expensive and not necessarily good food. Get a couple of streets away to find something not too expensive. Reservations are generally advisable these days, by the way. You cannot really count on walking up to a good place to get in. If someone is in the street “hawking” tables keep walking. If you see a place you might like during your walk, stop and ask for a table later, after you finish walking.

Posted by
143 posts

Which neighborhood in Rome are you staying? If you prefer to spend the first evening near P. navona you can easily walk between there, the pantheon and trevi. one year we opted for a late afternoon walking tour of the area upon arrival to get acquainted.

I will echo the earlier recommendation not to necessarily eat at a restaurant in P. Navona. One of my favorite restaurants that I found as a Rick Steves recommendation in 2014 is only a few blocks away, and you can eat well here for less than €50 dinner for two - Osteria da Mario. I wrote a ridiculously long trip report that included details of our dinner here this past August.

That said, I would recommend spending your first evening in Trastevere. Walk or take a taxi to Piazza Trilussa. Explore the neighborhood and you will find there are many good restaurants around that won’t break the bank (I recommend Caramella which is a funky hip spot, or La Tavernetta 29). You will also almost definitely come across musicians playing throughout the neighborhood. Every evening we stopped to enjoy musicians playing at P. Trilussa. I prefer Trastevere neighborhood to P. Navona, I only wish I had discovered the former sooner!