Please sign in to post.

Rome in November?

Is November a good time to visit rome? Since I'm from Chicago, I'm used to cold weather, but it would be nice if it were not really super cold. Is it less touristy?

Posted by
204 posts

My wife and I prefer the fall over any other time. November is particularly nice since most of the tourist gone, the Italians at tourist sights are more relaxed after the busy summer and everything is cheaper. Daylight is shorter but not overly. It isn't cold. We were there once when Roma was having a "heat wave" and I had brought only turtle necks and I almost died from the heat. And I'm from Texas. If you are from Chicago you will think the weather is mild.

Posted by
473 posts

We were in Rome at the beginning of November. We alternated between short sleeves and bundling up. The "bundling up" day was a cold, damp, rainy day. On the whole, I would say that Rome was warmer than Chicago. But like Chicago, be prepared for anything. As far as "less touristy", that was the only time we were in Rome, so I don't have much to compare to. But, having read the Graffiti Wall for quite a while, I've gotten the distinct impression that the number of tourists drops off severely in the late fall. For example, we just walked right in to the Vatican Museum.

Posted by
473 posts

We were in Rome at the beginning of November. We alternated between short sleeves and bundling up. The "bundling up" day was a cold, damp, rainy day. On the whole, I would say that Rome was warmer than Chicago. But like Chicago, be prepared for anything. As far as "less touristy", that was the only time we were in Rome, so I don't have much to compare to. But, having read the Graffiti Wall for quite a while, I've gotten the distinct impression that the number of tourists drops off severely in the late fall. For example, we just walked right in to the Vatican Museum.

Posted by
2 posts

We were therefore 3 weeks in December for Christmas 3 years ago. The days were warm and sunny but the nights got a little chilly (50 degrees F) which should be a piece of cake for you. Also, the crowds are smaller and the lines shorter everywhere!!

Posted by
466 posts

Spent last november in Rome. It was cool in the morning (needed a light jacket) warm in the afternoon (jacket off) and then cool at night (but not too cool to still have dinner outside on the street. Great time of the year!

Posted by
435 posts

Thank you all for your helpful advice. We bought our tickets for November, and will stay at the Duca D'Alba hotel.

Posted by
160 posts

Matti,

Rome is very nice in November. I wore light weight sweaters and a walking jacket and was fine. It is much less touristy. There were no lines in any of the attractions we wanted to see, even the Sistene Chapel had a small line. Hey even if the weather is a little cold who cares, you're in Italy. Enjoy!