Please sign in to post.

Rome in January 2025

Hello everyone. I will be in Rome during January 2025.
I have been in Rome many times but never in winter.
Whatever the weather throws at me I can deal with, just wondering
how much less touristy it might be? Especially at the Vatican.
Are restaurants easier or more difficult to get into because of little or
no outdoor dining?
Are there just as many taxi's available? Specifically FCO to city center.
Thanks for the advice!

Posted by
1518 posts

Ten years ago visiting Rome in January, we learned the hard way what miuccia is saying about Epiphany (January 6th). We thought January 3rd would be a nice quieter time to visit the Vatican museums and we entered when the doors opened. Turned out that almost all of the museum staff were still on vacation until after Epiphany and every single room we wanted to visit was closed. Instead, a packed crowd of tourists was rushed through the halls and up and down stairs to the Sistine Chapel -- it was actually frightening and just got worse and worse.

We were in Rome again for the first four days of January this year, taking our grandchildren to some of the places we'd visited on previous trips, so we can compare the crowds. Castel Sant'Angelo was enormously and unpleasantly more crowded and even Ostia Antica was busier than we'd seen it before. We didn't even attempt the Colosseum after seeing all the people around it. Buses were always full.

The weather was fine both years. Some on the forum disagree, but we always make reservations at restaurants because we've been disappointed too many times before. Once, we were the very last customers allowed in and we watched a dozen people getting turned away. We do not eat at fancy restaurants, usually lunch, and we go to Italy between September and January, sometimes in early spring.

Anyway, yes, wait until after Epiphany, if you can. And, looking on the bright side, even if crowded at least Rome won't be boiling hot in January. I hope your many times in Rome means you will be visiting mostly the less popular spots!

Posted by
124 posts

Miuccia and Nancy, thank you so very much for your responses.