Please sign in to post.

Rome in August

Hello! My future husband and I are planning our honeymoon in Rome for next summer. We arrive 7/29 and plan on staying for 10 days and just taking our time exploring. I have seen some articles that say everything will be shut down or at least local places... is this still true? We are staying at a B&B in Testaccio and it seems like there are some lovely dinning options around and markets etc... Anyone have experience on what we should expect? This time is set in stone for us do to childcare issues.

Posted by
1829 posts

Shutdown may have been true many years back but is not any longer.
A few restaurants or some local business service companies may close down because they are on vacation to the coast or the mountains in August but the parts of Rome you or I would be exploring makes it's money from tourism and August is a busy month for tourists.
There will be more than enough restaurants and other services for tourists open for business as usual all August.
It may be noticeable there are less locals walking about in the evenings but overall it does not seem different in August otherwise.

More of a factor in August is the heat. Make sure you B&B has AC, bring your own water bottles and fill up open from the many fresh water fountains throughout the city and take it slow and you will have a great time!

Edit: just realized you are staying a little off the beaten path in Testaccio ; I still think Rome being a large city and that area known for it's dining that you will not be limited for choices in August even if some places are closed more than half will be open.

Posted by
2 posts

We did get a room with AC. I read how hot Italy in summer can be so that was my number one requirement!

Posted by
5697 posts

I have NOT been to Rome in August, but my husband took his daughters once, and can still remember the heat -- bought ice-cold water bottles and they were tepid after a few minutes. (That's why our trips to Italy have been in October and May.) But Rome at any time is better than no Rome.

Suggest cooling scarves, hats, lots of water, mid afternoon siestas in the A/C, late evening strolls, and LOTS of gelato. Enjoy!!

Posted by
11363 posts

You will see some things closed in Testaccio. There will be signs such as Chiuso per ferie (Closed for holiday) on a few cafes, pharmacies, and so on. In the main tourist areas, it is business as usual. Buses may run less frequently in some routes and they are seldom air conditioned to the extent you might like. I would avoid the Metro. Hot and disgusting.

Try Pizzeria da Remo in Testaccio if they aren’t closed for holidays.

Posted by
3812 posts

The Testaccio district hasn't been completely ruined by tourists and B&Bs, yet.

So the correct answer should be: many shops and restaurants not catering to tourists will be closed in August. Most of them will be closed in the Ferragosto (15th of August) week.

Very few Italian tourists visit Rome in August: there will be locals forced to work while all their friends are on the beach, regular immigrants officially on vacation that get paid under the table and many foreign tourists. On the bright side, you'll see Rome with less traffic than usual.