Please sign in to post.

Rome in a Day

Does it make sense to take the subject tour for me and my daughter? We are spending 1-1/2 days in Rome. We are then going to Pompeii/Sorrento on the day trip. Neither of us are artsy, and I’ve visited before.

Posted by
58 posts

That’s a valid question. She is a grown woman. We will do Ricks Trastevere walk on our arrival day (to stay awake). The following day we hoped to see the important classics. I think I answered my own question. We should take the tour. Agree? My hope is this trip inspires her to visit again with her husband.

Posted by
6964 posts

I assume OP has found a tour called “Rome in a Day”

“subject” refers to the subject line of her post

If you only have a day and the tour fits your budget and covers what you want to see then sure-book it!

Possibly this one
https://www.walksofitaly.com/vatican-tours/rome-in-a-day-tour/

Honestly if you are not into art I wouldn’t want to spend time or face the crowds at the Vatican museums

Have you looked at RS Heart of Rome walk?

You can do that in opposite direction and have a pretty nice overview of Rome

Start at Campo de’Fiori for the market in am, end at Piazza Popolo for apertivo
Pick a restaurant along the way for dinner afterwards

If you want to tour the Colosseum book just that tour for early am
(Many people are satisfied with just a look around the exterior)

If you DIY you can set your own pace, stop for gelato or pop into a church or 2, shop etc
I know I wouldn’t enjoy both Vatican and Colosseum in same day along with a lot of walking in between
(if the above linked tour is indeed the one you are referring to)

Posted by
29 posts

Instead of the RS Trastevere walk, personally i think the Jewish Ghetto walk the better of those two, but The Heart of Rome is even better.

Hope this helps

Posted by
58 posts

We weren't certain if the walking tour would give us sufficient exposure or if we should do the Tour Guy "Rome in a Day". Any comments appreciated. Since we are staying in Trastevere and it's our arrival day I'm not sure how much energy we will have. Both are wonderful.

Posted by
16350 posts

We weren't certain if the walking tour would give us sufficient
exposure or if we should do the Tour Guy "Rome in a Day". Any comments
appreciated. Since we are staying in Trastevere and it's our arrival
day
I'm not sure how much energy we will have

Judithann, I'm having a bit of time getting my head around your complete itinerary in Rome but will just ask, why are you looking at a guided tour (e.g. Tour Guy) on arrival day? Is that the only day you have for Rome?

If arrival day is from the U.S., Canada or similar distance from Italy, most of us discourage booking tickets or tours for arrival day as flight rescheduling, delays and cancellations are always a risk. Tour bookings usually have to be cancelled more than 24 hours in advance to be eligible for refund (you'd have to read the fine print for the individual companies and products) and entry tickets are often non-refundable for any reason.

So if this is your situation, I'd go with a self-guided walk so you can flex easily with however much time, weather and jet-lag you end up with.

Posted by
58 posts

Kathy, thanks for your input. We arrive from Philadelphia at 9:am. We have our Airbnb in Trastevere. We can drop our stuff, get some provisions , grab some lunch, then do Rick’s Trastevere walk. We will get nice and exhausted, have some liquid refreshment, a light dinner then sleep. Day 2 we,RR choosing between the Tour Guys Rome in a Day, or shorter tour combined with Steve’s audio walk. Day 3 we are off to Pompeii/Sorrento on a day trip, evening in Rome. Day 4 on to Venice. We travel well together. Judy