Please sign in to post.

Rome in 4 days

We have 4 full days in Rome in May before taking 12 night cruise. I have been told I need 2 days to see Rome but am trouble deciding what to do the other 2 days. Amalfi Coast? Venice? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
2455 posts

Nancy, you were told you need 2 days to see Rome? Are you sure that was not 2 weeks or 2 months? Depending on your particular interests, there are certainly many days of sites, experiences, and neighborhoods to fill your time in Rome (including the Vatican). Get Rick Steves book on Rome or any other guide book. If you have the desire to get out of Rome for a day, perhaps to experience small town life in Italy, I love and highly recommend ancient Orvieto, which is a 70- minute train ride from Rome. If you go, try to stay into the evening, so you can have dinner and some time after all the other day trippers depart. The town is quieter and even more beautiful in the late afternoon and evening.

Posted by
15827 posts

Nancy, whomever told you that you only need two days for Rome has never been to Rome. I've spent a total of nearly two weeks at that one, over multiple trips, and have yet to run out of things to see. With any luck, we'll be back again more than once for a long stay.

IMHO, 4 full days is nearly the minimum one should allow for Rome unless they've no interest at all in what it has to offer.

Posted by
84 posts

I highly recommend you use all 4 days to explore what Roma has to offer. Even then, you'll still have a lot left to see.

Posted by
11613 posts

I've lived in Roma and traveled there almost too many times to count. Four days in Roma. (Whoever told you two days probably only saw the Colosseum, the Forum, and the Vatican.)

Posted by
824 posts

Nancy,

From personal experience, I can make the following suggestions:

1) One full day to see the Vatican (Museums, Sistine Chapel, St Peter's, etc.) and Trastevere.

2) One full day to see the Coliseum and Roman Forums (in depth and not just a "drive-by").

3) One full day to see Hadrian's Villa and Tivoli Gardens on a tour.

4) One full day just to wonder Rome's squares, churches and parks.

This all assumes you are interested in ancient Rome. It also is just scratching the surface. You could easily spend a month getting to know Rome. There are more churches than you can imagine. There is a multitude of museums. There are many markets all having their own personality and flavor. And the list goes on...

Venice and the Amalfi coast (Salerno) are both four hours by train and in the case of the Amalfi you will also have a lengthy bus ride (from either end). Each location deserves a week or more in their own right.

Posted by
16893 posts

If you only had 2 full days to see Rome, then we'd say, "do it." Many people do. But since you have 4 days, I'd stay at the same base. You could daytrip to Orvieto, as mentioned, Ostia Antica, or even Pompeii (but without carrying luggage along). Some train departures to Assisi run direct and take 2 hours each way.

And the 4-day plan above doesn't mention the Borghese Gallery, which is pretty high on Rick's Rome sightseeing priorities. "Listen" links on the same page will take you to free Audio versions of some of Rick's self-guided walking tour routes (from the Rome city guidebook).

Posted by
5 posts

4 days , oh that is only a small tiny start to see Rome. The wonderful churches are a must . Sad to say I passed by smaller ones only after I arrived home to find out what treasures I did not see by stepping inside for a peek. I thought I had done a lot of research , you cannot do enough to do it justice. Each trip could be filled with wonders walking the small side streets , time spent really seeing the city . I especially liked the Jewish Ghetto, "food - deli 's - cold pizza " among other choices. Going back there for sure. I am going in Oct.. hopefully !

Posted by
7 posts

Stay in Rome and do a cooking class or a food tour. A food tour is a great way to experience the city with multiple senses, and great fun too!

Posted by
1878 posts

Definitely spend the whole time in Rome. I was there just a few months ago. It was my fourth visit and I spent five nights, four full days. I lingered in Rome and took a 2 p.m. train to Orvieto, rather than an earlier train, because I could not resist squeezing the last little bit of touristic fun out of Rome. It's not the easiest city to visit efficiently, really you need more time than you think. Trust me on that one!