Please sign in to post.

Rome Hotels

We will be in Rome early July and although I know there are many hotels in Rome, I always like to get recommendations from people. Would love suggestions for a moderately priced hotel.
Was thinking around Piazza Navona area but not sure if it's the best location to stay in.

Posted by
23357 posts

We always stay in the Termini area just for the convenience to transit. We have used Hotel Aberdeen, Sonya, and Contilla. Wife thinks Sonya's lattes are better than Aberdeen so we stay there more often but the difference is very small. Contilla is cheaper, closer to Termini and we tend to use it when passing through Rome for one night. And there is a self laundry across the street from Contilla. Their breakfast is so so.

Posted by
771 posts

We stayed at Hotel Plaza Navona last May, and found it to be a central location to many sites. The staff was very helpful. Our room wasn't large, but it had been recently renovated.

Posted by
1829 posts

Piazza Navona is a prime area to stay in. One of the very best. It may not be the cheapest but look there first and only branch elsewhere if budget requires. Nearby Pantheon is maybe the only place I would prefer but they are both right next to each other so it really does not make a difference. As close to the Piazza as possible or within the Piazza if possible.

Posted by
1054 posts

The 4 times I've been to Rome I stayed at Hotel Aberdeen (3 times) and Hotel Sonya (1 time). But they are near the train station

Posted by
735 posts

We stayed in Palazzo Olivia a few years ago . It was recommended by someone from the forum . It has air condition and a kitchen and also an elevator. Location was so good and convenient .

Posted by
362 posts

We love Hotel Lancelot near Colosseum and San Clemente. Terrific breakfasts, same with dinner which is optional if you don't want to wander the streets looking for food after a long day of sightseeing. Some rooms with large balconies. Elevator, owner operated, staff speaks English. RS recommended, see his guidebooks.

Posted by
56 posts

Thank you all for your suggestions, appreciated!

Posted by
922 posts

We stayed in Trastavere in an apartment and like the space. We had 4 adults in a 2 bedroom apartment. We also stayed at Hotel Smeraldo on another trip and I liked the hotel and location. it's about midway between Largo Argentina (a small transportation hub) and Campo de Fiore and within walking distance of most sights.

Posted by
1003 posts

We have had good experiences at Hotel Italia which is just off Via Nazionale & close to Termini and Hotel Smeraldo which is near Campo Di Fiore. Have also rented apartments on 3 visits-2 near Piazza Navonna and 1 by the Pantheon.