Please sign in to post.

rome hotels

we are going to italy in september and wanted to find a decent inexpensive hotel in Rome that is easy to get to the airport for our last night.
Thank you

Posted by
515 posts

A guide book, RSteve's is among them, will give you a sense of what the neighborhoods are like, where the sites are, and the books usually recommend hotels, with rates.

Posted by
2 posts

I was hoping someone maybe had a suggestion. A hotel they stayed at that they had a good experience.
A specific one they could recommend.

Posted by
8682 posts

I'm sure someone will chime in but until then take a look in the archives. Also look on the Graffiti Wall.

Posted by
101 posts

We are doing the same thing and just booked the Opera Hotel near Termini. We were able to get a rate of 147'EURO if we paid cash. 159 if you pay by credit card. Good reviews and close to the train station to get to the airport.

Posted by
515 posts

The Termini area (Termini is the central train station) is a good choice because you can quickly walk to the airport rail shuttle that departs from there. I have not stayed in that area for a while but there are numerous hotels that are for the budget traveller. You will get plenty of tips re these hotels on this Board from folks with current info. Note that the subway has a station in the train station

Posted by
23284 posts

We have used the Sonya, Aberdeen, and Contilla in the Termini area. For a one night stay, the Contilla is more than adequate and one block south of Termini. I delayed answering simply because I have no idea what you mean by "decent inexpensive." And what time is your flight? Very important to know.

Posted by
32212 posts

mark, Depending on what time your flight is, I'd also recommend staying near Termini station. I agree with Frank that Hotel Sonya or Hotel Aberdeen would be good choices. From Termini there are frequent departures of the Leonardo Express, with a travel time of about 30-minutes to the airport. That's the method I prefer, as it's not affected by traffic issues. If you have a very early flight, you could also consider the Rome Airport Hilton. It's right at the airport and you can walk from the Hotel to the Terminals. Happy travels!

Posted by
7737 posts

Mark, I'm puzzled as to why the recommendation of one anonymous person on a bulletin board would be worth more than a recommendation from the RS books that have been vetted by Rick, his guides, and the feedback of tons of people who've stayed there. If you don't have at least the RS Italy book, you really should get a copy. It will be the smartest money you spend on your vacation. Happy travels.

Posted by
2207 posts

Mark, there are many inexpensive hotel options in Rome. As mentioned, the Roma Termini and Prati/Vatican Areas probably have some of the lesser expensive hotels in Rome. Of the two locales, the Roma Termini area is certainly an easier journey to the airport as you can take a private shuttle, a taxi, the Leonardo Express, the Terravision Bus or the SITBus Shuttle. Here are two links that have the best-rated accommodations in these two areas, as ranked by venere.com and booking.com guests who actually STAYED in the hotels. Each has many, many reviews you can read that can assist you in your decision. Each article also has a link at the bottom of the page that ranks the accommodations by price. The Best Hotels and B&B's in the Prati-Vatican Area or The Best Hotels and B&B's near Roma Termini Another great part of town that's fairly inexpensive, relative to the centro area, is Trastevere. Using the FM1 line from the Roma Trastevere train station, you can easily get to the FCO airport. On weekdays, the trains leave every 15 minutes for FCO! For the best-rated hotels in this area, you might read this: The Best Hotels and B&B's in Trastevere. One last option - and personally, I prefer NOT to do this - is to stay out at the FCO airport. For folks who need this option, due to specific needs or concerns, you might read this link: The Best Hotels and B&B's near the FCO Airport I think these sites, with reviews by guests who actually STAYED at the hotels, can give you the insights and personal experiences you're seeking. Good Luck in your search!

Posted by
15589 posts

I stayed at Hotel Italia, Via Venezia 18, in Rome. It was cheap - and a small (5%) discount for cash up front. It's a 5-minute taxi ride from Termini (unless it's rush hour - then it could be more than 20). It's less than 20 minutes to walk to Termini - though I never did it with luggage. Clean, all the amenities (tile shower, AC, breakfast, free wifi, 29 tv channels, all in Italian). It is a great location, around the corner from La Nazionale, down the street from the metro station.