Please sign in to post.

Rome hotels

I’ve read good comments about Hotel Smeraldo and Hotel Teatro Pace. Help
Which to choose? Need one with close transportation nearby as we are not renting a car. Staying 3 nights in October. Thank you for your help
Marie

Posted by
1207 posts

I loved Hotel Smeraldo when I stayed there for two nights this past April. Really wonderful central location, on a (mostly) pedestrian street, two minutes walk to Campo de Fiori, 10 minutes to Piazza Navona, 12 minutes to Jewish neighborhood, etc. The room was immaculately clean, updated, stylish, comfy, though small. Breakfast was fabulous. Staff at the desk were wonderfully helpful, welcoming, friendly, no matter the time of day or night. Wonderful rooftop bar/relaxing area. Re transportation: It's about three blocks from a main bus line that goes to Termini one direction and the Vatican the other direction. Staff would surely help you know where to find it. We took a shuttle or taxi to/from the airport. It's a good 25 minutes walk to Termini. Love this hotel! Have never stayed at Teatro Pace.

Posted by
15831 posts

Need one with close transportation nearby as we are not renting a car.

blueangel4, just FYI that NO one really drives in Rome other than some of the locals. There are all sorts of reasons for that, and even scads of the locals rely on public transit. Darn near everything in central Rome is close to some sort of public transport stop, be it Metro, tram or bus. Still, I'll advise doing as much of your getting around on foot as possible. Rome is a terrific walking city and, depending which Point A to Point B you're trying to cover ground for, it can actually be FASTER on foot.

We've spent an entire week in Rome without using public transit more than just a couple of times and then only to cover some pretty good distances that I doubt you're planning to do.

Posted by
45 posts

Another vote for Hotel Smeraldo. We found it convenient to walk to most anywhere and we loved that hotel and especially the breakfast, the rooftop bar, and the great bakery across the street. Front desk staff were extremely friendly and helpful too.

Posted by
76 posts

Marie, check and see if you are there during White Night. It is a night in October where the museums are open at night and are free. Lots of Romans out that night and a unique experience for you to enjoy!

Posted by
48 posts

Thank you all for your input. You all certainly helped where I couldn’t make up my mind. And I’ll definitely check that event in October. Have a wonderful day! Marie