Please sign in to post.

Rome hotels

I am looking for a hotel in the center city of Rome. I am traveling with my husband who hasn't been there in almost 30 years. I have been in the last ten. We would like to be able to walk to nearby restaurants and not have to take public transportation everywhere. Any recommendations? 200 to 300 euros a night is reasonable. We are traveling in April 2022. Thanks.

Posted by
23178 posts

Have you reviewed any of the Steves' guidebooks especially Rome. I am of no help since we always stay in the Termini area (Kind of off to the side) because of easy access to public transit. But good restaurants never the less.

Posted by
2455 posts

I was looking for something very similar for my cancelled 5 nights in Rome in April 2020, and selected the oft-recommended Hotel Smeraldo. Was excited about beginning my lengthy visit to Italy there, but alas, have never actually stayed there.

Posted by
3777 posts

We stayed at the Hotel Regno on Via del Corso. Up (or down) the street from the Victor Emmanuel Monument. We walked to the Pantheon, borgese gallery, the Vatican, Spanish steps. We did take a train to a few of the Churches which were further away, but there are plenty within walking distance. An Italian friend recommended it.

Posted by
1206 posts

I've stayed at Hotel Smeraldo twice and love it. They have rooms in several price ranges. I think that they are perfectly situated, right in the historic part of Rome, on a pedestrian street (though taxis are allowed to drop off and pick up). It is about a 5-10 minute walk to Pantheon, Piazza Navona, and about 15 minute stroll to Piazza Venezia. Lovely hotel, wonderful people there.

Posted by
1156 posts

Check out https://charmechic.com/

Large rooms and bathrooms, clean, large flat-screen TVs on wall with Netflix which was a bonus. Breakfast was nice and great location. Minutes walk to the Spanish Steps, loads of restaurants, shopping, and the sites.

Posted by
11056 posts

We enjoyed Palazzo Navona , modern interior in an old palazzo.

Posted by
3 posts

I can remember when I just came in too with my family. We stayed in one hotel in that termini area. It wasn't such an elegant hotel though. I gave them 4 stars though as their service wasn't so remarkable. Around there, there are lots of restaurants there. You can try them. Happy stay.

Posted by
1542 posts

If you are staying for a good number of days, you can rent a decent apartment for that kind of money. There are no local bylaws forcing you to cook, and you'll have a lot more room to yourselves. Restaurants are a plenty most anywhere you stay in the central area. I like it all, but especially the Trastevere area. We based just east of Vatican City, on Via Crescenzio. Sorry, no links, as our landlord appears to have closed down his business: a pity, because he had a few nice rentals and he was a lovely young man.

Most of the important sites are walkable. Our only use of public transportation was for Ostia Antica (not everyone's cup of tea), Villa d'Este, and Frascati/Castel Gandolfo.

Posted by
2047 posts

We also enjoyed staying at Palazzo Navona for a celebration trip. Great neighborhood close to Piazza Navona, the Pantheon. Extremely walkable to many sites and restaurants.