Please sign in to post.

Rome Hotel Sept. 2023 (I know it's last minute)

Looking for suggestions for a hotel with comfortable beds and quiet rooms in Pantheon / Piazza Navona / Campo de’ Fiori / Trastevere. We’re open to other areas as well. We enjoy spending some time in the room but don't need to have a breakfast option since we prefer a coffee and a pastry over a full breakfast.

Three adults and would prefer two rooms. Budget is $300/night/room. The comfort of the room and hotel are preferred over location. We can walk and/or take taxis as needed to sites and we are aware that we are late in booking.

The top recommendations that I noted from searching the forum do not have availability.
Hotel Artemide
Albergo Del Senato Rome
Hotel Smeraldo
Argentina Residenza

We are looking for six nights mid-September 2023. I know the first rule is book early and normally we do our best. However, this trip is a change from the trip I have been planning to Nice and Provence. The last minute destination change is due to change in which family members can take the time in September for a trip. My son, 25 has more time than my daughter and has never been to Rome. My husband and I last visited twenty years ago.

Thank you to the forum members that provided assistance to my earlier questions and thanks in advance to the Rome experts!

Posted by
5658 posts

We like Lancelot near the Colosseum. RS tour groups stay there.

Posted by
2386 posts

I enjoyed Smeraldo a few months ago. Loved the location.

Posted by
2625 posts

We spent 5 nights here last fall and loved it. https://www.navona49.com/index_en.shtml

They have at least one room that will hold all of you and it's just over $300 a night. They have quite a few September openings.

The location is fantastic - we spent lots of time just staring out at Piazza Navona.

Posted by
15210 posts

I stay here when in Trastevere, but there are plenty of choices still for September in a lot of hotels.

It’s not last minute. Last minute is checking in today May 10.

Use www.booking.com and search. You can filter the area, the amenities, whatever you need.

Posted by
97 posts

Thank you all for the kind replies and suggestions!

I will check the recommended hotels for availability for our dates. Looks like some great properties.

I have some hotels saved in booking.com, but I wanted to check here first for recommendations since the reviews in booking.com can be vague.

ChristineH, we would be interested in an apartment since we would like two sleeping areas. My concern is that in my search of this forum, the experiences with airbnb in Italy have not been overly positive. I'll check the options on booking.com as suggested.

Grazie mille!

Posted by
6129 posts

Booking.com does have apartment listings
I’d trust them
We don’t use Airbnb

The reviews on booking.com can only be left by those who have actually stayed at the property so I do trust them

You can filter reviews as well

Posted by
97 posts

We're looking at adding a couple of days and splitting the stay between Rome and Ovietto, which looks like a short train ride away from Rome Termini. I'm searching the forum for hotel recommendations for Orvieto.

For those who have stayed at the Hotel Smeraldo in Rome, have any of you stayed in the Family Suite? I'm trying to determine if the sleeping areas are separated by doors or curtains from the living area. It's difficult to tell from the photos on the website.

Thank you!

Posted by
466 posts

Good question with Hotel Smeraldo. We have 2 family rooms reserved for our July trip. I agree it’s hard to know room configuration. Guess I wasn’t worried as our family is flexible and it’s only 2 nights.

Posted by
97 posts

Thank you ChristineH. You are so helpful with suggestions.

all2alb, We're planning four or five nights and I'm a light sleeper. I'm a bit concerned about the reviews that indicate that the Family Suites are in a separate building and noise is an issue. (I know it's Rome and any city has noise) :P

Posted by
911 posts

Hotel Smeraldo; stayed there several years ago and would again.

Posted by
700 posts

I would suggest looking at rentals from VRBO - they have been around much longer than AirBnB. I've always had good luck with ski condos from them. Read the reviews - look for a premium host. We're using them for part of our time in Rome Oct/Nov.

Here' a sample search for apartments mid-Sept. - just add a filter for two bedrooms.

https://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/italy/rome/centro-storico

Posted by
4350 posts

Did you consider stays at a convent or do you want better quality rooms and a staffed hotel desk?

Posted by
97 posts

Appreciate the ideas.

markcw: thank you for the VRBO link. We will check it out.

cala: The convent idea is interesting. We don't need a staffed hotel desk, but since reaching a certain age, I don't sleep well and need a quiet room and a comfortable bed. No one likes to be around me if I don't get a few quality hours of sleep. ;)

Posted by
4 posts

We cannot recommend Hotel Artemide enough. We were 2 adults, 2 teens and the room we had gave enough space to sleep comfortably. Also, the breakfast was very nice, fresh fruits, food for anyone. It also filled the teenage boys enough to get us through. There service was also top notch. When we go back to Rome, we will stay there.