Please sign in to post.

Rome Hotel Question

I have booked my hotels for my trip to Italy except for Rome.
Right now its between Hotel Artemide and Hotel Nazionale. Any thoughts out there from people who have stayed at either. Looking for good location for sites as well as resturants and nightlife. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

Posted by
15172 posts

Both seem very upscale, although I haven't stayed at either one. The Artemide is near piazza Repubblica, not far from the viminale palace where the ministry of the interior is. Very close to the opera house. I usually stay near there because it's convenient to get to the station and I often stay in Rome the night before flying back to the US, therefore i like to be near termini. It's not a short walk from the sites though and for those you would probably want to take the metro.
The nazionale is in the same piazza as the parliament, it has the benefit of being in one of tho most secure areas in Italy. Lots of politicians hang out in that piazza, therefore you'll see plenty of fancy blue official armored cars manned by armed policemen in civilian clothes. Police outnumber tourists by a ratio of 10 to 1 there. There you are at the heart of the Centro Storico, walking distance from some of the major sites. The night life and restaurants are top in the Centro Storico as well. Therefore if you are looking for a top spot to have fun, the Nazionale is right at the center of it. And if Berlusconi is in town, his palace isn't too far. I'm sure there will be some bunga bunga party with plenty of pretty girls there too. Unless you need to be near the station, The nazionale would be my choice, simply based on location. Have fun.

Posted by
11613 posts

I prefer the area around Piazza Navona/Pantheon/Campo dei Fiori. Some hotels in the area are the Smeraldo, Genio, Raphael, Residenza in Farnese (check booking.com for hotels by area, price, reviews, etc.).

Posted by
38 posts

We just spent 3 nights at Hotel Ponte Sisto and Loved it! Great staff and lovely hotel. ... Location just across from Travestere and near other great locations, Piazza Navonna and Piazza Fiore
We walked to Cul de Sac (a restaurant we found in Rick's Book and had a great meal too..

Posted by
1010 posts

We stayed at the River Palace Hotel, in Rome, two years ago. It was close to the Spanish Steps, the Victor Emanual Monument, the Pantheon and the Fountain of Trevi. It was a very pretty hotel. We ate in their beautiful dining room everyday for breakfast. It was included in the price.