Please sign in to post.

Rome hotel question

We are staying two nights in Rome in June. Has anyone out there stayed at the Hotel Aberdeen. It's one of the hotels Rick recommends near the train station on Via Firenze. We will probably be taking the train in from the airport.

If you have stayed there or know of it please let me know what you thought of it.

Posted by
908 posts

I stayed there in 2004 on the 7 Days in Rome tour. I liked the place and would stay there again on my own nickel. My room (a single) was large and airy, and the bathroom was good-sized. Across the street is a place (Bar Oscar?) where I could pick up a panini and something cold to drink, and around the corner (on the next block behind the hotel) was a Sicilian bakery and gelateria. The desk staff were friendly, the hotel was clean, and I felt safe in the neighborhood.

Of course, that was six years ago, so I hope someone with more recent experience responds! :-)

Posted by
32209 posts

Marcia,

I haven't stayed there yet, but I'm booked at Hotel Aberdeen this year and quite looking forward to my stay there.

Based on the recommendations I've seen, I think Aberdeen would be a "safe bet".

Cheers!

Posted by
1825 posts

I have stayed there twice in the last 1 1/2 years-both on my own and with a RS Tour. The location is outstanding for shops and restaurants, close to the busline and the metro, the staff friendly and the hotel is clean. I definitely recommend it. I will be in Rome in June and will stay there again. If you have never taken the Leonardo Express from the airport, go to Ron in Rome's blog. He has great directions how to find it(with photos).

Posted by
527 posts

We usually stay in the more historic areas in Piazza Navonna or Campo de Fiori but in 2008 we stayed at the Aberdeen. We were passing quickly through and wanted to be close to the train station and that was convenient. The hotel is ok and the internet is nice to have. We had a room for three and it was by the breakfast room so we woke up very early to the endless sounds of them settng breakfast up. However you may be close to the station but especially in the evenings which are glorious in June you will have long walks or cab rides to enjoy the areas with wondereful romance and ambience and car-free zones. I personally would only stay by the station if it was for a very short stay.

Posted by
500 posts

We stayed at the Aberdeen once. They were very nice but we probably won't stay there again. They gave us the smallest hotel room I have ever seen in 11 trips to Europe. I think they try to make guests feel better about it by advertising that it is the room that Rick Steves stays in when he is there.

Our friend who was traveling with us couldn't get a room at the Aberdeen and he stayed at a hotel down the street, I think it was called Hotel Paris or something like that. He had a large room and it was cheaper than the Aberdeen. He got it by calling American Express and asking them to find a hotel for him near Hotel Aberdeen. If we go back to Rome and want to stay in that area I think we are going to look into staying at the hotel where our friend stayed.

We actually enjoy staying near Termini and usually stay in that area. We find it be very convenient and have found good restaurants in that area.

Posted by
23268 posts

We have stayed in the Aberdeen twice in the past five years. Lovely hotel, great breakfast, great staff, and good location with a couple of very nice restaurants just behind the hotel and a couple streets over. We have also used Hotel Sonya which is half the distance closer to Termini. Be sure to use a google map or something. The first time we arrived at the Aberdeen it was after dark and we thought it was a little hard to find. It doesn't have a flashing, neon sign.

Posted by
2023 posts

We stayed at the Aberdeen once and would not stay there again. Our room( not a bargain either) was very noisy and walls paper thin. The breakfast was anything but great--very basic. That entire area is just not attractive and rather charmless. For us it is important to be near the Pantheon, Campo Fiori, and the true historic center. All our favorite restaurants are a five minute walk from the hotels we selected in this area.

Posted by
10 posts

We are staying at the Hotel Aberdeen in May and are looking forward to it.