Please sign in to post.

Rome Hotel

On our previous trips to Rome we have taken the budget route and stayed at a convent. This time we are accompanying my parents who want to stay in a comfortable hotel. The requirements are that it be located an easy walk to the Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navonna, etc., have AC, minimal steps to climb and not too $$$$. I had reserved at Hotel Smeraldo but we have recently read several not so good reviews of this hotel. Thanks for your input!

Posted by
65 posts

On our two trips to Rome--most recently at the end of march, we stayed at the Accademia.

http://www.travelroma.com/en/

It is literally around the corner from the Trevi. From there we've walked to the Borgese, the Vatican, the Coliseum. Maybe a bit far for some, but we like seeing the city at ground level.

They have a decent breakfast, and an elevator. I expect they have AC, but we've only been there in Feb and March.

We'll stay there again.

Best regards,

Jeffrey

Posted by
212 posts

Hi Lise,

I have two recommendation. One would be the Albergo Santa Chiara, which is literally just a few steps from the Pantheon and a really nice three star hotel.

I would also suggest the Palazzo Olivia apartments by Piazza Navona. They are self catering, have air conditioning, really nicely decorated, have lifts, and a sortof concierge on call all day long.

Posted by
250 posts

Lise - I've only stayed there once, but the Smeraldo worked out great for my wife and I. Great location, great breakfast, clean and modern rooms, and decent price.

Posted by
586 posts

Residenza Cellini near Repubblica. GREAT hotel.

Posted by
53 posts

You also may want to consider an apartment to rent. We found these more economical and had most of the features of a major hotel. Check out Cross Pollinate: http://www.cross-pollinate.com/

Amy was most helpful with out reservations.

Posted by
239 posts

Hi Lise--My husband and I stayed at Smeraldo and really liked it. We would highly recommend it for its fantastic location, among other things.

Posted by
636 posts

We also stayed at Hotel Smeraldo (4 nights last June), and we absolutely loved it. The only complaints that we had heard was about the less than enthusiastic staff, but we found them to be as helpful as we needed them to be. Location, location, location - all fabulous! We opted not to have breakfast there - there is so much within a block of the hotel.

I would consider giving Hotel Smeraldo a chance.

Posted by
934 posts

I havnt stayed at Cellini but it looks very nice.The same people own Residence Adler one floor down and it is excellent.Somewhat cheaper then Cellini.They have an elevator to both hotels.They are in Steves book.

Posted by
39 posts

I like renting an apartment in Rome, especially if you will be there more than 2 or 3 days (most apartments require that minimum). It's cheaper than a hotel when there is a group of you and has some additional perks.

Last time I was there I rented an apartment in the Campo de Fiori area that was very central to walk to the Vatican and to Piazza Novana, Trevi Fountain, etc. The great thing about an apartment is that it feels more "homey" and has a kitchen, refrigerator, etc. so it was nice to make our own coffee in the morning and have snacks and drinks in the frig at our leisure.

If you google rome apartments you can find quite a few listings/web sites. One that is good is www.rentalinrome.com.

Posted by
69 posts

I just got back from Italy last night, and while in Rome I stayed at Hotel Artorius. It was very nice and the staff were wonderful. The hotel has an elevator and is centrally located well within walking distance to many sites. They included breakfast in the charge, which was quite reasonable and many options to choose from in a delightful breakfast room. The pastries were freshly made every day and delicious.

Posted by
12 posts

I just got back from Italy and we rented a wonderful apartment off of Camp de Fiori. It was within walking distance to Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Trevi, Spanish Steps. Contact Helen Yeh, www.comfortitalia.com.

Nicole

Posted by
1570 posts

We loved Hotel Madrid. Spotless, great breakfast served on a covered but open rooftop, perfect location. Short walk to Trevi, and short walk to Spanish Steps which is also the location for the underground. There is an elevator. It was wonderful!

Posted by
37 posts

We have Italian friends who recommended the Hotel Colonna in Frascatim(just outside Rome). They said they prefer staying there rather than in Rome. We tried to book it but they had no vacancy for out dates.

Posted by
37 posts

sorry a couple of typos there the important one is that the hotel is in Frascati

Posted by
22 posts

I recommend the Hotel Albergo Cesari. Great and clean rooms and great location. It one block from the Pantheon, the two blocks from the Trevi Fountain, and walking distance to the Piazz Navonna and the Forum. The staff was wonderful and very helpful. The great restuarants just outside the door.

Posted by
122 posts

Try Residenza Argentina - very centrally located, close to transportation, near Campo dei Fiori and Pantheon, walking distance to Trevi Fountain and Piazza Navona - - - and the hosts are very friendly and accommodating. I highly recommend it!