Please sign in to post.

Rome hotel

Hi

Need hotel recommendions for 3 nights in Rome. Two areas that I am looking at Trastevere or the Colosseum-Rome Basilica. I will be arriving from Montegrotto terme by train and flying out of Rome 3 days later. I want something that is safe, near the sights. Looking at around $100 U.S.
I am not going to be in the room much so I don't want to spend alot. I am a single female traveling alone for my first time to a foreign country.

Posted by
1662 posts

Hi the,

As a single, female traveler, maybe you'd like the Trastevere area. It's quaint with resemblance to "a little village."

Check out this video from The Roman Guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v75H2alRIW4

Sean F. is one of the leads and a cutie. I don't know him personally; just like to watch their vids. And Sean sprinkles his sense of humor into some videos.

I traveled solo around Rome (twice in the last two years) and had no issues with safety or harassment. Many are helpful. There are police and military in and around major attractions and major neighborhoods.

Termini gets a bad rap, but I had no issues or fear. I stayed in a very nice hotel and often ate at a favorite restaurant a couple of blocks away. My bedroom window on the fourth floor looked out to (into the distance) The Diocletian Baths. Lovely.

Rome is relatively safe. Keep a big city awareness. Keep your wits. Keep a positive stance while walking about. Watch your bag. Don't put all valuables in your bag. I don't know if you plan on using a cross body (I suggest) or a backpack. Don't hang it (absentmindedly on the back of chair anywhere. Don't put it on a table where it's up for a grab.)

Anyone approaching you to buy something, just say "No Grazie" and keep on walking. Unless you want a Pashmina for 5€ lol.

If you'll be around the Pantheon (Piazza della Rotonda) or the Colosseo and want an exclusive picture with a gladiator, keep in mind, they will expect much euro to have their "mugshot" taken by you or with you.

Maybe do a search in the above box - put key words in such as "Trastevere hotels" and see what threads pop up. Some may be years old and info no longer accurate. You can narrow down/filter the replies by date.

Posted by
52 posts

Hi

I did watch the Roman Guy talk about the neighborhoods which is where I came up with Trastevere. It is close to everything. Any good hotel recommendations in Trastevere? I will have over the shoulder small travel bag.

Thanks

Posted by
1878 posts

Please consider 95 Rooms in Rome http://www.95roomsrome.com. I stayed there in late October 2016 as a solo (male) traveler. This in the Monti neighborhood. It's really a great area, walking distance from Termini. I am not am not sure whether this is still the case, but when I visited they served breakfast to your room. This place is awesome!

Posted by
1662 posts

Hi thefer,

Gee, I'm sorry I don't have a real recommendation.

Try browsing https://www.booking.com/district/it/rome/trastevere.html

• Scroll a little down the page to where it states "more accommodations." There are the tabs for B&B's, Boutique and Budget hotels. It looks like they have a lot to choose from.

They have boutique and budget-style hotels to browse which would be in your price range. After narrowing choices and choosing one, I suggest booking directly with the hotel.

Sometimes you can get a better deal. Also, in case of anything, it's better to work with the hotel than booking.com. But people have had success with the the booking site.

Keep in mind in case you're not aware: star ratings for hotels in Italy go by the amenities offered, not how good they are. Also, a mandatory city tax is charged per night, per person for stay. Some prefer that to be paid in Euro. You can ask when you get there.

Clarification: the number "ratings" such as 8 or 9.5 etc on booking.com from guests are not the same as a hotel being labeled a 3 star hotel. I hope I wasn't confusing.

Adding, Hotel Trastevere gets good reviews.

Look for hotels that serve a nice breakfast included with room rate.

• Added info
Posted by
7209 posts

As a single traveler and first time to Europe I would be looking for someplace that might offer a bit of support for your questions or needs. Hotel Napoleon is near to Termini, THE most wonderful staff anywhere, big inclusive bfast, and a metro entrance right at their front door. That’s where I would recommend for a single newbie traveler.

Posted by
15851 posts

Not the area you're considering but look at the Beehive Hostel near Termini. It gets excellent reviews and you might be able to land a private room within your budget, although that chance may be slim as I believe you're flying out in just 5 weeks or so and this is a very popular property. I'll agree that it would be useful to have support at hand should you need it, and you might enjoy the company of other hostelers during the few hours you might be around for breakfast or in the evening. I have the impression that you're a younger traveler?

https://www.the-beehive.com

Posted by
52 posts

Hi

Thank you everyone for your help with picking a hotel in Rome. I finally settled on Navona Residenza de Charme located in Navona neighborhood. This will allow me to walk out the front door and be close to everything, includes breakfast, private bathroom, roof terrace. Close to everything. It was about $352 U.S for 3 nights. I guess I am paying for the location.

Posted by
1662 posts

Great thefer. The Piazza Navona area is quite lovely too. You'll be surrounded by stunning fountains as well as the liveliness of the Piazza. Rooftop terrace is an added bonus! Have fun. Rome is fantastic!

Posted by
52 posts

Hi

Thank you. After watching the Roman guy for the 3rd time, it seemed to make sense to pay a little more and be at the center of everything. Now it seems so real. We go on summer break in less than a montha and I fly to NY on the 28th and Rome on 30th. Soo not ready. Nerves are kicking in. Visiting three cities over a 2 week period. Tropea for 7 days (but 1 will be spent on getting over jetlag), 4 in Montegrotto Terme/Verona/Venice and last 3 nights in Rome before I flight out in the afternoon.

I have a feeling that this won't be my first trip to Italy. I am already missing some things I want to see but I can't do it all.

Now, which skip the line tour for colosseum, forum

Thanks
Jennifer

Posted by
1662 posts

You're welcome, Jennifer..

After watching the Roman guy for the 3rd time

ha ha, I bet you'll have a fantastic time and will return to Italy again :) All combined, it's sounds like a wonderful trip!

Now, which skip the line tour for colosseum, forum

Here is the official website in case you don't have it https://www.coopculture.it/en/it/colosseo-e-shop.cfm

And...I "think" you'll know where I suggest you start getting ideas - The Romany Guy! lol

https://theromanguy.com/category/italy-travel-blog/rome/ Scroll a bit and catch their current blog from this month. They write about the Colosseum.

Also, check out https://www.walksofitaly.com/rome-tours/ Browse to see if any itinerary is attractive for you to borrow ideas.

Have fun!