Please sign in to post.

Rome Hotel

Hello fellow travelers,

I will be spending my last night in Italy in Rome. I have a 10:30 AM flight from Flumicino Airport.
Any suggestions on hotels in Rome to spend my last night? Traveling with my son and not looking for anything too fancy, just comfortable and located for a pleasant relaxing last night in Italy.
Thank you for your reply.
Ciao
Steve

Posted by
6289 posts

We love the Aberdeen, not too far from Termini. It's not fancy, but the staff is great. There are a number of good restaurants - all levels - in walking distance.

Wherever you stay, your hotel can arrange transportation to the airport, via taxi or a shuttle. Or you can take the Leonardo Express from Termini, if you want.

Posted by
6488 posts

Try to stay close to Termini so you can get the Leonardo Express early enough to be at FCO by 7:30 (assuming an international flight).

The RS Guide recommends the Aberdeen and also these other hotels near Termini: IQ, Opera Roma, Sonya, Oceanaia, Nardizzi Americana, Selene Roma, Beehive, Sileo, Robinson. I haven't stayed at any of them but pass this on as a public service. ;-) Check out their websites and reviews on booking.com.

Posted by
6289 posts

I can elaborate a little bit on Dick's post, but mostly about food.

We stayed at the Sonya last year on a RS tour, and it was fine. I prefer the service and ambience at the Aberdeen, but we had no complaints about the Sonya. And I feel compelled to add that the breakfast buffet at Sonya included the best mortadella I have ever had, anywhere, anytime, ever. There are also some good places to eat on that same street, heading north.

We stayed once at the Nardizzi Americana, and it was okay, but the least favorite of the four hotels we have stayed at in Rome. Again, our main focus was food. We were on (yet another) RS tour, which stayed at the Nardizzi. And it was probably the least good (how's that for dancing around a word) breakfast I have ever had in a European hotel or hostel. As I recall, the coffee was terrible, from a machine (I have had good machine coffee; this wasn't.) And the first morning we were there the bread showed up as we were leaving. Few choices of much of anything. The next day my DH and I brought fruit and cheese to share with our tour mates, and the third morning other folks did, as well.

But I must say that that was a long time ago, and we did report our concerns to the RS office. It is quite possible that it's better now. And it's also possible that breakfast isn't as important to you as it is to me.

Posted by
76 posts

We always stay at the Port of Rome since there is a back entrance to Fiumicino and it avoids the regular Rome traffic. This hotel was a great experience and includes breakfast if you want. There are nice little restaurants in the area. The hotel is located on the seafront and only 10 minutes from Fiumicino airport. The Occidental Aran Blu, located in the popular town of Ostia, is a design hotel with modern rooms and panoramic sea views. It offers free WiFi and a summer restaurant. Occidental Aran Blu has air conditioned rooms, with a minibar and a flat-screen TV. Rooms includes a private bathroom with hairdryer and free toiletries. Also rooms with balcony and sea view are available. Ostia Antica and its famous archaeological site is only 11 km away.