Please sign in to post.

Rome Hotel

My husband and I will kick off our trip in Rome, where he hasn't been since 1984, and I've more or less used it as a port to other Italian destinations. So, we're looking for a reasonable hotel in Rome that's convenient (Roman Forum, Piazza Navona, etc.). We will likely take the train in from the airport. I've stayed by the train station before (just can't remember where, since its been so long), but in some ways, if anyone knows of a place a little closer in, it would be nice. If you only know of a place near the Termini, no worries, I'll still take the recommendation. We'll be dog tired the first day anyway. Thanks.

Posted by
7737 posts

It's always helpful to include a dollar amount when you ask for a "reasonable" hotel.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks. I'm hoping to stick to around $100 or so a night.

Posted by
32220 posts

laura,

You might have a look at Hotel Aberdeen. It's also in the Termini area. I was there a few months ago, and would certainly recommend it.

Happy travels!

Posted by
23340 posts

The big issue is your $100 ceiling. We have used Aberdeen, Sonya, and Contilla -- all three stars and near Termini but all over your $100 limit. Aberdeen, as previously mentioned, is excellent. We prefer the Sonya because we think the breakfast is "slightly" better and it is a little closer to Termini. For a quick overnighter we use Contilla which is just a block south of the side entrance to Termini and next to a laundry. Contilla is the least expensive of the three.

Posted by
7 posts

We had a wonderful stay recently at the Hotel Italia,about a 10 minute walk from Termini, and it seems to me we paid about $130 per night. The location was great - convenient to metro and bus. the breakfast was good - fresh bakery, cheese, meats, etc and the staff was wonderfully helpful. For those of us who do not travel with laptops, they also have one available for guests to use at no charge. i would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Posted by
1994 posts

I stayed at a great convent about 4 short level blocks from Termini: 1/2 block from Sta Maria Maggiore, taxi stand, TI, market, and cafes; 2 blocks from Metro. It's recommended in the RS Italy book (since I can't remember the Italian name of the order, but it's the Sisters of St Elizabeth of Hungary). One sister spoke some English, and it worked fine. (Had the TI translate/write the only complicated question I had.) There's a rooftop patio with wonderful views. I paid <50E for a single in the winter, including a good breakfast. But it is a convent, so you'd need to be comfortable with the simplicity (eg, no TV or radio in room), relative quiet, and curfew (sp?). I found the sisters to be charming, and will definitely go back.