Please sign in to post.

Rome for 5 nights in Sep under 150 Euros. Hotel/B&B or Apartment?

Hi Folks,
We've decided to either stay in Pantheon area or Ancient Rome area. After looking for hours on tripadvisor and Rick Steve's 2010 Rome book, I am clueless.

I found 2 great places which fit my bill. Close to the tourist places (no car) but still tucked away from the crowd and rooms with a view like a balcony or terrace.

Here's what I've found:
Hotel Grifo
Nicolas Inn (Their website says they don't accept children under 5 years old!). Sadly, I am counting it out.

Please recommend something else!!

Posted by
691 posts

Sonia for 5 nights i would prefer an apartment, more space, you can cook some meals etc. I used this agency to help me find an apartment base on my criterias, they were very helpful.
www.b-b.rm.it
Hope this help!

Posted by
20 posts

We have had great experience at Hotel Sileo (in Rick's book). People are so nice and helpful. Great location (a couple minutes from Termini Station)and great restaurants in the area. Maria made us great coffee every morning. Very nice.

Posted by
74 posts

We stayed at Nicolas Inn and it was under 150 euros/night. I'm not sure what you are saying in the 2nd to last line regarding "Hotel Grifo Nicolas Inn" and the accepting children issue, but their location was absolutely fantastic, easy to maneuver, and Melissa and Francois were amazing. Really wonderful place to start our vacation.

Posted by
712 posts

Hi Sonia,

I would definately recommend an apartment. My friends and I are likewise going to Rome in September and because of the long length or our stay, we found an owner who negotiated a price of only 55 euro a night for all 3 of us. It's near the Vatican, but you can do a search for wherever you like to stay and I'm sure an owner may negotiate with you as well.
Try www.homeaway.com or www.vrbo.com (with vrbo you can search by neighborhood which will probably help you more). There are other websites that have apartments in Rome, but the 2 above are ones that I have worked with and can recommend.
Happy travels!

Posted by
49 posts

Un appartamento, si! We just rented a lovely place in Trastevere and adored it. So nice to have breakfast and coffee without having to deal with restaurant action 3 x a day. We worked with sleepinitaly.com and had an excellent experience. Very reasonable, too.

Posted by
304 posts

This may not be for you...but we stayed in the shadow of the Pantheon at a place called "Al Pantheon con Thomas Mann". The location and price for this place cant be beat. Literally footsteps from the Pantheon, 90 euro per notte. Walk out your front door and bam! there it is. The place was clean but very plain with no view. We only stayed a couple of nights, I'm not sure how it would be for 5 days. Very friendly people, includes simple breakfasts. I found it at www.tripadvisor.com.

Posted by
842 posts

Sonia, we found the apt where we stayed at on VRBO; #13150. For only $100 US/nite we had a fantastic one bedroom apt, with balconys and views to die for, overlooking a river and a park, in a quiet neighborhood, with lots of great little restaurants, shops, and a wonderful grocery store. It was in the Veneto area, two blocks from the Nomentana train station (excellent link to/from the airport) and on two express bus routes (one to Termini, the other to the Spanish Steps.) It had two beds in the bedroom, and a separate living room that could be completly closed off, enabling privacy for the hide-a-bed.

Even though it was 1/2 mile from Termini, it was close when you used the express busses, which were available any time of the day or nite. We had lots of fun at the local restaurants, and one nite we popped into the neighborhood church to hear the choir practice. We had a great time there.

Posted by
127 posts

CORRECTION: I meant to say:
Hotel Grifo, Nicolas Inn. Nicolas Inn's website says they don't accept children under 5 years old.

Posted by
49 posts

Also - if you stay in a neighborhood not in the centro storico (historical center or Ancient Rome area), you'll find lots of little local restaurants where the food is divine and the prices very agreeable. We loved having those places nearby at night in Trastevere, which is a quick tram ride from Largo Argentina, 10 min. walk from Pantheon.

Posted by
206 posts

We stayed in a quad room at Hotel Grifo summer 2007. We liked both the hotel and the location. It was an easy walk to the colosseum and trevi fountain area, and close to both metro and bus stops. Our room had direct access to the balcony/terrace, but other guests could get there from the hallway door. As I recall there were never many other people out there. One day we picked up pizza nearby and ate on the terrace. The room itself was fine, nothing special and not overly big for four, but adequate, as was the bathroom. They have a small elevator. My only complaint was that they turned off the air conditioning in our room while we were out during the day. It was very hot while we were there, and that meant our room was hot when we returned, and took quite a while to cool down. But I suspect other Rome hotels do that too.

Posted by
9110 posts

If you want to take a completely different tack, think about the Eurostars Roma Congress.

It's located in the far beyond almost to the ring road on the east. BUT, it has a shuttle into Termini shortly after breakfast (extra, but if you only want coffe you don't pay the full tariff) with both an early and late evening return (the trip is about fifteen minutes in an airconditioned small bus).

It's about as spiffy as you can get and only stiffs you about fifty euros for a room. I like it because I've never found a way to enjoy outside ambiance flat on my back with my eyes closed.

Posted by
127 posts

Thank you for suggesting HomeAway.com. I found a beautiful house with much less cost/night in the Campo dei Fiori area close to Palazzo Olivia.

The only reason I am worried is because it has no reviews. I don't want to book it without reading some reviews and knowing what to expect! Can someone point me what to do in this case?

Thanks!

Posted by
712 posts

Hi Sonia,

I'm the one that suggested homeaway.com and I had some of the same issues: no reviews = uncertainty about the property/owner. What I did was do a google search for anything in the description of the place (location, apartment name, street name, owner, any contact info, etc...) that might find me another website where a review is posted. Also, go to trip advisor and try to find the name of the place or the owner. It worked for me. I found several posts that helped. Fortuntaly, they were good ones.
Also, contact the owner and tell him your concerns. Sometimes they have separate websites dedicated to their property that may have reviews.
Lastly, post the name here on this website to see if anyone is familiar with the place. If it's a good deal, it's worth it all that effort.

Posted by
87 posts

We have successfully used cross-pollinate.com to book several properties. While there are no reviews available, there are usually abundant photos, with the amenities very well spelled out. I found the web managers to be very responsive to questions, and all the properties were as nice or nicer than what I anticipated. You can search by price and I think by the number in the party. Usually the minimum night for apartments is about 3 nights, so more liberal than many. Give it a try.

Posted by
127 posts

We've decided to stay at Palazzo Olivia. Anyone has experience staying there? Tripadvisor has only 20 reviews! They charge extra for cleaning, but I am not too worried about that. I want to know if it is worth the price and if location is great!

Thank you.