Please sign in to post.

Rome for 2 days

We have only 2 days in Rome. Any suggestions on what to do and where to eat?

Posted by
10344 posts

Marilyn: Give us some clues to what type of things you want to do and see. It's a huge place, you have to help us narrow it down a bit.

Posted by
2 posts

I know that Rome is a big place. That is the problem we are dealing with. Anything off the well known path.

Posted by
1317 posts

Rick's suggestion for Rome in two-three days is as follows:

"On the first day, do the "Caesar Shuffle" from the Colosseum to the Forum, then over Capitol Hill to the Pantheon. After a siesta, join the locals strolling from Piazza del Popolo to the Spanish Steps.

On the second day, see Vatican City (St. Peter's, climb the dome, tour the Vatican Museum). Have dinner on the atmospheric Campo de' Fiori, then walk to the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps.

With a third day, add the Borghese Gallery (reservations required) and the National Museum of Rome."

However, your recent post asked about things off of the well-known path, which to me suggests that you have already been to Rome before and seen the biggies? If not, follow the advice above. If yes, we need to know what you've seen already to make new suggestions such as...

Trajan's Forum, Castel San'Angelo, Catacombs, Cappuchin Crypt, Capitoline Museum, Ara Pacis, Trastevere, and many more.

What sort of things are you interested in? art? ancient history? modern history (EUR)? churches? The more information you give us, the more information we can give you.

Places to eat is a subject often discussed. You can use the search box in the upper right corner to search on Rome restaurants. Several of the recommendations in Rick's guidebook are good. I especially liked Trattoria del Pallaro near the Campo di Fiori-- "you eat what we feed you" style dining.

Posted by
48 posts

Marilyn,

We actually did the Rick Steve's Rome in 2 days tour - it was exhausting but I feel we got to see Rome. I'd recommend it, just make sure you have a rest day at your next location!

Posted by
103 posts

We we're in Rome in June and here's a couple of things that are "off the beaten path" that my husband and I enjoyed immensely:

Borghese Gallery for the most exquisite Bernini sculptures in the world and a breathtaking sculpture of Paolina Napoleon Borghese by Canova.

Trastevere neighborhood walks including free visits into the spectacular churches.

Linda

Posted by
8 posts

my husband and I also have 2 whole days in Rome, Oct 11-12. Our plan is to buy a HopOn HopOff ticket and spend all our time at these wonderful venues that these double-decker buses take you to. We have done this 2 years ago and told ourselves it was well worth repeating again. It is the best value for unlimited transportation to the Coloseum, the Panthenon, King Emmanuel's Monument, Vatican City, Trevi Fountain, etc. The sisteen chapel is an absolute must and is within walking distance to the Basilica. You get english-speaking earphones and also a great way to meet fellow travellers. If you visit all the venues that these buses offer, your 2 days will be completely filled. We discovered a couple of take-out restaurants that offered the best food for a decent price. Sit down restaurants near the Basilica are a rip-off....7 euros for a tiny bare-bones pizza.

Posted by
192 posts

The Trastevere area is a bit off the beaten path and has many restaurants, trattorias and delis. Any place with the menu in Italian and frequented by locals will have better food and lower prices.

Posted by
110 posts

There are great restaurants in Trastevere and night life around Santa Maria Church is great.

Antica Pesa was a fantastic restaurant, but not cheap.
http://www.anticapesa.it/english/homeinglese.html

I would suggest doing Colosseum, Forum, Palatine Hill, Pantheon and two or three church around there (can't think of their names), Peter in Chain's Church, Trevi Fountain and Spanish steps in one day.

I would then do St. Peter's and Vatican Museum and just walk around eating and resting and then goto Trastevere to eat and hang out at Piazza Santa Maria.

Posted by
5 posts

I cannot reccommend more highly Rick's "Night Walk in Rome" in the 2008 Italy Guidebook. This was by far one of the highlights of our trip!

Rome was brutally hot when we where there and I almost left with a bad impression (we were only there two days) hitting all the otherwise amazing cultural sights. I'm so happy I decided to venture out again and give rome one last try on the night before we departed north. So glad I did. Now counting on my coin in the Trevi Fountain to work it's magic :-)

Don't miss it.