Please sign in to post.

Rome Food Tours

Hello, can anyone give input on these two companies/tours? The Eating Europe tour is more expensive than the Gourmetaly tour - not sure if that extra price is worth it. Reviews for both are fantastic, so having a hard time deciding which to do. Or open to suggestions if someone has something fantastic they can recommend. These just happen to be the ones i found that seemed good.

The two options I'm considering are:

1. GOURMETALY - Rome Wine & Food Tour in Trastevere Jewish Ghetto Campo de Fiori https://www.viator.com/tours/Rome/Small-Group-Rome-Food-Walking-Tour-Trastevere-Campo-de-Fiori-and-Jewish-Ghetto/d511-5614ROMEFOOD
  2. EATING EUROPE - Rome Trastevere Food Tour at Twilight https://www.viator.com/tours/Rome/Twilight-Trastevere-Food-Tour/d511-5553P13
Posted by
2621 posts

I was happy with the Eating Europe food tour in Rome, and it's been mentioned favorably here on the forum by others, too.

I suggest you sign up on their site instead of the 3rd party Viator.

Posted by
110 posts

Thanks., Is there any advantage to booking on their website as opposed to viator? I have 15% off my next viator booking so was hoping to use that

Posted by
11483 posts

We loved our Eating Europe food tour. Sign up for it directly. Don’t use a middle-man like Viator!

Posted by
1071 posts

I’ve done the Testaccio and Trastevere food tours with Eating Europe, more than once as I often take my visiting friends and family. They have always been good. I can’t do another one because I can’t eat that much so often, so now I just recommend them and send my visitors on their way. Never had a bad guide or bite.

I haven’t tried Gourmetaly. I’m also interested in trying Katie Parla’s food tours as she has a wider variety of neighborhoods on offer, haven’t done that yet either.

I’m sure you’ll enjoy whichever one you pick. If you have some lead time, Eating Europe has frequent sales and coupon offers if you keep an eye out.

Posted by
110 posts

Oh thank you for that suggestion! I will keep an eye out for a sale. I’m going on September 30th so I suppose that’s enough time to maybe catch one. I do have 15% my next viator booking though so may just use that

Posted by
85 posts

My husband and I took the Eating Europe Twilight Trastevere tour last September. We both enjoyed it very much! We're going back to Rome next year with our family & have recommended the tour to our daughter & her SO.

We've taken 5 Eating Europe tours already & have their Venice tour booked for September. They have all been very good. I have always booked direct with Eating Europe & managed to snag a discount code for our tour last year when someone posted on this site and alerted folks to the discount.

Enjoy!

Tina

Posted by
110 posts

Seems like that’s the leading company as of now! It’s so much more expensive than I want, usually try to keep it around $100pp. Do you happen to remember what the discount was when they listed it? I’ll keep an eye out

Posted by
884 posts

We too had a fantastic time on the Eating Europe tour in Testaccio, started at 10:00 AM in an area of Rome you're very unlikely to see otherwise. It was worth the price, lots of history along the way, yummy dishes, a food market, and ended with a superlative lunch followed by gelato. After the tour, the guide not only sent a list of restaurants, but also recipes for some of the dishes we tried.

Posted by
2980 posts

I have done four Eating Europe food tours. And have the Twilight Trastevere and a Florence tour booked for September. I love them. Good interesting food and interesting participants. You might even meet a forum participant like I did.

Book through Eating Europe, not a third party consolidator. Eating Europe is very easy to work with if you have questions, have to change a tour or cancel.
https://www.eatingeurope.com/
Buon Appetito!

EDIT: usually around Black Friday they have 20% off gift cards. I buy a discounted gift card to use to book the next trip’s food tours. I spent €200 for €250 gift card.
I don’t think their tours are expensive when you consider it’s a meal and a walking tour. Not unlike progressive dinner.
I think I saw in the RS Italy guidebook a discount code for Eating Europe. Look through your guidebook. I didn’t need it so skimmed past.

Posted by
205 posts

We took the Twilight Trastevere food tour in April 2024 and it was great. The quality of the food, wine, locations and the knowledgeable guides made it well worth the money. I booked directly with Eating Europe and found a 10% discount code by searching on the web. Whichever tour you choose, make sure your personal belongings are secure while you are eating. Someone on our tour had their purse stolen when they briefly put it down on the ground at an outdoor table near the street. This was obviously not the tour company's fault but was very unfortunate.

Posted by
715 posts

There’s definitely a Rick Steves discount— we used it for our Testaccio tour (fantastic!) this May. It’s at least 10%…maybe more

Posted by
85 posts

I did what Horsewoofie did, bought the gift card with the 20% discount, then used that for the Rome tour. When I booked that tour, they sent me a code for 10% off, which I used for the Venice tour.

I hope they have the Black Friday sale again this year, so I can buy another discounted gift card.

Posted by
6964 posts

We've done several Eating Europe tours and they have all been fantastic. We loved the Trastevere am tour but I don't think they offer that one anymore. The Twilight tour always gets good reviews.

EATWELL10 was the code we always used- not sure if it still works- but worth a try.

This page offers a discount for 2nd tour
https://www.eatingeurope.com/coupon-code/

Book with the actual tour operator

Posted by
1010 posts

It’s interesting OP, because as outlined on the site there doesn’t appear to be a huge difference between the two. Like everyone else here it seems, I’ve been one several Eating Europe tours and been very satisfied with all of them. I can at least confidently say you’ll be happy with the choice and feel like you got your moneys worth. And in a sense, spread out over three hours it’s not a crazy amount of money to spend. The tour guides are excellent and seem invested in the experience. In fact, we were joined on our Testaccio tour by another EE tour guide just there for fun, and who was my guide in Florence the next year!

Of those, Twilight Trastevere was best overall. However, the Testaccio tour was more valuable as an exploration of a unique and authentic neighborhood. Testaccio might be hard to fully appreciate on your own, while Trastavere is sort of right there for you.

Posted by
62 posts

Forgive me, as I have not experienced a food tour anywhere. However, I have been following Katie Parla on Instagram for years (@katieparla), and if you check her out there, it is a good way to see if one of her tours would be a good fit for you (if I ever get back to Rome, it is my intention to do a tour with her). Katie has four Italian cookbooks to her credit and is a contributor to the NY Times. Aside from that, she is a hoot!

Posted by
600 posts

A few years ago, I took the Testaccio Food and Market tour with Devour Tours. It was wonderful. Opened with caffè and pastries. We tasted several things in the market (cheese, ham, wine, etc. ) We then had half a sandwich of our choice at a meat market, and then a sit-down lunch with wine and pasta. We learned very interesting things about the neighborhood. Closed with gelato from an artisanal gelateria. Highly recommend.

https://devourtours.com/tours/rome-testaccio-food-market-tour/

Posted by
36 posts

Don't want to hijack this thread, but has anybody done Eating Europe's tour called Eternal Rome: Jewish Ghetto, Campo de' Fiori and Trastevere. We're debating between that and the Twilight tour. We're staying in Trastevere, so I figure we can hit a lot of their spots on our own. Any thoughts on the other tour?