Please sign in to post.

Rome, Florence and Tuscany October 2021

Considering a trip to Rome, Florence and Tuscany this October. Kind of last minute but flights are really reasonable! This would be our third trip to Italy. With COVID, trying to understand all the protocols as they change daily! We are vaccinated. Looks like N95 masks required everywhere (???) and negative test to return to US.

Tentative itinerary: 4 days in Florence, 4 days visiting the wine country of Tuscany and 4/5’days in Rome.

Are museums and restaurants open?

Trains operating as normal?
Wineries in Tuscany open for visits?

Would amalfi coast be a good option?

Easy to get COVID test to return to US!

Just trying to decide if we can make it work on short notice and amidst COVID! We love Italy!!

Appreciate insights!

Thanks!!
Mary

Posted by
15158 posts

Museums and restaurants are open. Green pass required. For Americans CDC vaccination works.
Outdoor dining permitted even without.

Train operating normally, but masks required. Not sure if they are filed at limited capacity.

Any masks works. it does not need to be hospital grade N95.

Wineries open. Same requirements as restaurants in place.

Amalfi is a good option if the weather cooperates. Probably less crowded than usual in October.

You can get Covid testing at most pharmacies and also airports. Inquire upon arrival at pharmacies in the city of departure.
Test also 72 hours before leaving the US

Posted by
13 posts

Excellent! Thank you Roberto!

We will start to make plans!
Any tips on Umbria or Tuscany for wineries?
Thank you!
Mary

Posted by
32740 posts

according to this thread https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/italy-to-require-negative-test-for-vaccinated-tourists

a test for Canadians, Japanese and Americans prior to departure for Italy.

The specific important quote from there:
quoted

"

I'll trust the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, linked below...

"Persons travelling from Canada, Japan and the United States of America may enter Italy by presenting a ‘Green Pass’ (or equivalent certificate issued by the local health authorities attesting that they are fully vaccinate with a European Medicines Agency (EMA) validated vaccine), a negative swab test carried out within the previous 72 hours and a Passenger Locator Form."

https://www.esteri.it/mae/en/ministero/normativaonline/decreto-iorestoacasa-domande-frequenti/focus-cittadini-italiani-in-rientro-dall-estero-e-cittadini-stranieri-in-italia.html

"

Posted by
27104 posts

I've recently been researching sightseeing attractions in northern Italy--not the same areas you'll be visiting. In general, the biggest tourist destinations seem to have hours of operation pretty similar to those in the pre-COVID period. However, some of the second-tier sights are closed more days a week and/or are open fewer hours a day. You really need to check the websites of the places you want to see to be sure. You don't want to arrive in town with a long list of sightseeing targets and find out some of them are closed for the first couple of days you'll be in town. Some places are open only around the weekend (e.g., Thursday-Sunday) . To be clear: I'm not suggesting that all sights are doing that or that even 50% of sights are doing that. But in northern Italy quite a few just aren't open as many hours a week as usual, and that can affect how much sightseeing gets accomplished over a 4-day period. It's not hard to find the opening hours on the sights' websites.

Posted by
2109 posts

This would be our third trip to Italy.

Have you been to Tuscany before? It is best visited by car. Other than that, I suggest you stay in Siena and arrange for day trips. You can also take a bus to hill towns like San Gimignano and Volterra with some planning.

I don't know how Covid is affecting Fall Festivals, but October is a great time to visit Tuscany. This site may help you find some activities.

I think your plans are good as is. Save the Amalfi Coast for another trip or swap it for Tuscany. I wouldn't try to cram it in your current itinerary.