Please sign in to post.

Rome, Florence, and Pompeii in June 2020

We (two adults) are planning a trip to Rome, Florence, and Pompeii in June, 2020. What airlines should we consider? We live in the Kentucky/Ohio area. What airports should we look at? How far in advance should we book tickets?

Thanks!

Posted by
8084 posts

I suggest you check airfares with the website Kayak.com

Then book directly with the airline you choose.

Not sure which airport you would fly out of, but if you are close to more than one, check from more, Rates depend on the competition that the airlines provide and more busy airports tend to offer lower rates.

The main US Airlines are Delta, United and American. We prefer Delta, but all will get you there.

Posted by
897 posts

Step 1: Review the RS Italy guidebook for the proper name of stations at your destinations - there are several in many cities. He gives good explanations. Then check out travel times between destinations. All of the RS travel videos are available for free on Youtube.

https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html

Step 2: I am unfamiliar with what airline hubs are most convenient for you so you will probably have to change flights in the US, and then perhaps in Italy. Check which cities from the east coast have the best (non-stop?) service into Italy. I will guess that Rome is the best bet. It is about 9 hours non-stop from Washington Dulles airport on United. Prices will only go up from now until June.

Step 3: Florence and Pompeii are in opposite directions from Rome, so decide on your itinerary timing for each.

Note: The RS guidebook usually has Pompeii as a side trip from Naples so he recommends using the local Circumvesuviana train from Naples that drops you right outside the front entrance to the site. Visit and then return to Naples. BUT, the main rail lines stop in Pompeii the town, which is at the other end of the site. If you are staying the night, which we did to also go up Vesuvius and side trip to Herculaneum (Ercolano), going by the main rail line is not a problem, just bit of a walk after you drop your bags at your hotel.

Posted by
872 posts

No need for RS guide books for station names, which are Roma Termini, Firenze SM Novella and Pompeii Scavi [on the Circumvesuviana line]. Another good airline site is www.skyscanner.com.

Posted by
7031 posts

michele-
which major international airport are you closest to?
I'm thinking Chicago O'Hare? (ORD) --American, United, Delta all fly non stop to Rome

Use google flights or skyskanner or expedia or kayak to search your flight options.
Multi-city, open jaw- fly into 1 city, out of another to avoid backtracking if possible.
Direct nonstop to Italy if possible. Homeward bound direct is not so important but still preferred!

Book your flight with the actual airline. Always.

Your best bet is probably going to be a RT Rome (FCO) or into Rome/out of Naples.
I don't think there are any direct to/from Florence or Naples from midwest.

If you see a price you can live with, book it now and don't look back but first- you must figure out your itinerary

Itinerary could look like this:
Fly to Rome >>Train to Florence ? nights
Train to Naples 2 nights- visit Pompeii
Train to Rome- ? final nights
Fly home Rome

Posted by
11731 posts

We live in the Kentucky/Ohio area

Since states are the unit of measure you chose, we are left with at least 9 states that could be considered the "Kentucky/Ohio" area.

Trying to suggest which airport(s) and airlines to use in that area is daunting.

Care to narrow the search area a bit, of where you would/could be flying from?

Posted by
4105 posts

From...Louisville, Lexington, Cincinnati ?

To Charlotte (CLT), Atlanta (ATL), Detroit (DFW),Chicago (ORD.

Are probably going to be your connections to your international flights.

Posted by
7766 posts

You can look at our host’s vast free travel advice in the blue menu top left. I also suggest going to your public library, where you are likely to find a copy of Rick Steves Italy, which has plenty of material aimed at first time (????) European travelers.

You may see then, that your list of questions is way too small, since you have left out overall length of trip, days in each city, budget, food restrictions, and more. Next time you post, please think about the fact that no Russian hacker is going to track you down and steal your identity if you tell us you live 45 minutes south of Cinncinatti! We cannot give you good advice without a good question.

It can also be helpful to tell us why you have made the choices you already have, like cities or countries to visit. And what places you have enjoyed visiting already.