Please sign in to post.

Rome....

I am heading to Rome in a few days and was wondering if anyone had any quick tips about good hostels in a good location (i am female traveling alone) or areas in general to stay or stay away from! I know Rome is huge and there are a million options. i got overwhelmed trying to research so i figured i would ask the experts!! :)

Posted by
11613 posts

Not a hostel but a convent that rents rooms might be a good choice. Very simple accommodations (no tv or phone) but private room with bath, simple breakfast, a reasonable curfew (11 pm or midnight). The name is Casa Santa Sofia, I stayed there a couple of years ago. It's near the Colosseum. You can check santasusanna.org or monasterystays.com for similar accommodations.

Posted by
715 posts

Rome is a safe city, but like any big city you need to be aware of your surroundings.

My days of Hostelling are long over. There use to be great private Hostel right at the Ponte Sisto, but alas, that is long gone.

If you re looking for relatively inexpensive and spartan places to stay in the Centro Storico then try Giubbonnari 23 or Domus Ester. Giubbonari you have to book in advance and arrange to meet the people there, some folks have difficulty with that, I just call them and stand outside the door and wait till they arrive.,, or push there doorbell and find out they are already there waiting for you, ;).

Posted by
752 posts

I am at my usual haunt right now, B and B Caroline, managed by Hotel Mirage, on the Via Milazzo side of Roma Termini. When you see that big green Neon Farmacia + sign in Termini, just walk thru that inside hallway next to the sign, cross the street, and the HM Office is near the corner. There is a lovely Caffe on that corner run by Cinese who practice their artwork on my coffee and brighten my day. Last night I went to the Cinese ristorante at the end of the block around the corner and had their speciale sizzling hot plate of Prawns. There is s Pakistani guy near the HM office who makes really good Pizza, there is another Pakistani cucina across the street, Antica Taverna is good on short notice, the Mangrovia next door is a fun and happy place, it's fancy but those are costumes for the big tour groups arriving for parties every night. They always have a place for me. The merchants on the corner do a thriving souvenir business. But I digress.

I always get the lowest price I request whether I stay at HM or the B and B Caroline. They treat all guests like their own family. Rooms are clean, big windows, high ceilings, and the best mattresses I've ever had in Rome. WiFi in every room, and it works fantastic. This trip I was here one night a week ago, returned for one night last night, and never had to re-enter the password. My iphone began pinging as soon as I walked in the office.

They have the best breakfast I've ever seen, and even though I pay budget price, I am always welcome at their table. Other places if I pay budget, I'm told that I can't have their breakfast. At HM and B and B Caroline, I have a good tasty hearty breakfast, great caffè, pastries, toast and butter, deli meats and cheeses, cakes and fruits, juices, milk.

Roma Termini is just across the street with all its shopping, amenities, and benefits available in the second it takes to get there. The bus terminal at Piazza Cinquecento, right here. Taxi stands, here. Trenitalia ticket machines, here. Italo machines and customer service are here too now. All train connections, Leonardo Express, all here. Termini is full of stands selling bus/metro tickets. And everything else under the sun. TIM store upstairs, Conad City downstairs, all kinds of clothing and luggage stores.

Yesterday I had to shake a Gypsy stalker on the train from the Adriatico to Roma. I've never had to do that here. Diverse safe area where everybody knows and welcomes me. My home away from home.

Posted by
32200 posts

Although I'm 60+ I still stay in Hostels on occasion and the one I use in Rome is Alessandro Palace, which is close to Termini station. I've always found it safe walking in the neighborhood around the Hostel, even at night. The rooms are modern, with electronic card keys (same cards activate the electrics in the room), and they have a bar which can be quite lively at night. As I recall, I paid €34 per night for a four-bed dorm room on my last stay. Note that they only accept cash. There are some nice restaurants in the area, and a laundry in the next block just around the corner. The breakfast is a bit "basic" at the Hostel, but it's easy enough to pop over to Termini and get something more substantial.

You could also try The Beehive, which is also very popular (but probably not as lively as Alessandro Palace). I've never stayed there so can't offer any comments on it.

I'm assuming you've packed a Towel, Flip-Flops and Soap for the hostel shower, and also a small Padlock for the Lockers?