Please sign in to post.

Rome during Holy Week 2010

Just realized we'll be leaving to return home out of FCO on Easter Sunday. How busy will the Rome tourist sites be during Holy Week? How early should we book our hotels? Should we book a hotel the night before we leave near the airport? How soon do we need to book tours of The Vatican & other popular places, or are tours even needed? OR should we stay out of Rome & visit other places in Italy?

Posted by
19 posts

Rome is very full during Easter. I never take tours, but I'd book hotels and any tours you want to take, especially tours of the Vatican, as early as possible and be prepared for crushing crowds in that part of the city. You could wait hours to get into the Vatican or St. Peters tour or no tour. Personally I'd avoid the area during Holy Week, especially the Vatican, but that is just me. Leaving on Easter Sunday shouldn't be a problem. Everyone else will be staying. If you are leaving very early in the morning you might want to consider an airport hotel, but otherwise it isn't hard to get to the airport from the city. Just arrange it in advance through your hotel.

Posted by
440 posts

Debbie, I arrived in Rome on Palm Sunday this year, and thought how 'tourist free' the city looked compared to three years previously. Financial crisis I suppose.There were long queues for climbing the dome of St Peter's. You might find that your accommodation choices charge extra at this time (peak season). I had the full week in Rome, renting an apartment in the Monti district, and enjoyed day trips to Tivoli and Orvieto. Having an early departing flight, I did stay at an airport hotel.

Posted by
881 posts

I would book your hotels as early as you can if you find a price you like. With most of them you can cancel with no charge (most, not all). Id' recommend and apartment though if you there for any length of time. We had a great one.

Remember things are going to be closed on religious holidays, and there are going to be special events changing things up, so check the calendars!

If the religious festivities aren't your thing, it's a good time to go see the other sites, while everyone else is distracted.

Posted by
2207 posts

As noted by Pat, this year the streets were just not as crowded as past Holy Weeks. I would agree to book your accomodations early to lock in a better price/selection. If the economy improves, and places start to fill up, selection and price may become relative!

I live next to the Vatican and can say that you will have to be more patient than normal. I did go into the Museums twice that week; both times in the afternoon (after 2 PM) and neither time waited in line... In the morning IT WAS CRAZY, as I walked by everyone in line as I headed to a bustop.

Years ago, we often flew out on Easter Sunday as my wife is a school teacher. Frankly, no problems, and the airport was not crowded. The Day after Easter might be a different story!! I'd plan on riding the train to the airport or booking a shuttle. Taxis did seem harder to find and buses early on Easter Sunday morning were also hard to find.

Posted by
63 posts

Thank you all for your response. My husband & I have taken your advise & have booked 5 nights in a hotel recommended by RS near the Termini.

We've decided to also try to book tours for places on our "must see" list & when it gets crowded to take day trips outside the city.

Our only concern now is how early does the rail service depart for FCO? Our plane leaves @ 8a for a layover in Madrid?

Posted by
2207 posts

The first Leonardo Express leaves Termini at 5:52 AM so that will probably NOT be an option for you. It is scheduled to arrive at the FCO train terminal at 6:23 AM and then you would probably have to walk to Terminal B or A.... so thinking around 6:40-6:45 AM before you get in line at your check-in gate. It can be done, but if the train gets a late start you will be pressed. I'd suggest a taxi or shuttle service to enable you not to have to stress over making your connection - especially traveling on a "holiday" in Rome.