Please sign in to post.

Rome closed Sunday and Monday.

Hello everyone, If Rome is closed an Sunday and Monday, any suggestions as to what tourists do those days? We are seeing all the important sights on Thursay, Friday and Saturday. We only have Sunday and Monday left in Rome and was actually thinking of taking the train an hour or two away to a different outlying city. Any suggestion for both ideas: staying in Rome or going to a suburb? I love this forum. Everyone is sooo helpful and kind. Thank you Marte T.

Posted by
32201 posts

marte,

One possibility would be to take a short one hour (or so) train ride to Orvieto, which is a beautiful Umbrian hill town. While there have a look at the incredible frescoes in the Duomo, tour St. Patrick's Well (quite an engineering feat in its time) or take the Underground tour. Have a fine dinner in one of the excellent restaurants (I can suggest one if you like) and then return to Rome.

Posted by
23267 posts

Rome is not closed on Sunday and Monday. Part of Rome is closed on Sunday and some on Monday. Sunday is a good day to visit the Appian Way since the traffic is very restricted. You can actual walk it or bike it without getting run over. Or Ostia Antica but OA is closed on Monday.

Posted by
7027 posts

On Sunday I would do as Frank suggests - the Appian Way and/or Ostia Antica - then on Monday take the train to Orvieto for the day.

Posted by
28 posts

Oh GRAZIE so much. Love you guys with all your great advice.

Posted by
28 posts

Oh GRAZIE so much. Love you guys with all your great advice.

Posted by
4152 posts

The only site I know that's closed on Sunday is the Vatican museums. There are several state run museums that are closed on Mondays but there are still plenty of sites that are open. Just plan around those.

Donna