Please sign in to post.

Rome

My husband and I have 4 solid days in Rome. We are hoping to find a place to stay for tops 125 euros a night. Just wondering where the best place to stay in Rome is? We don't mind walking we are in fairly good shape and don't want to stay somewhere that is a total tourist trap nightmare. But we would like to be fairly close to sites but would take public transport if necessary. Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated we will be there mid October. Thanks

Posted by
288 posts

We stayed at the Beehive last summer. We found the location very handy since it is so close to the station. We did stay in the dorm and the price could not be beat! I would agree the neighborhood did lack a little character but we were never there very long.

Posted by
11 posts

And not necessarily a specific hotel even a neighborhood that is nice would be very helpful. Thanks

Posted by
223 posts

You might check out the Rick Steves Rome book. Its a very helpful place to start. I am a budget traveler (and former Missoula resident) and here is my take... your mpg may vary. Each time I have been to Rome I have stayed in the Termini area... its convenient but maybe lacking some of the charm of staying in the historic center. My last two trips I have stayed at Hotel Cervia Roma. Its not a luxury joint or fancy by any means but for the price in Rome, its ok. I will stay there again on my next visit. The Beehive is a bit closer to Termini and is well regarded and should fall in your price target. Is Rome your first stop? I walk to most places in Rome as I love getting out early and seeing all the odd little things you may miss by bus. Its a good long walk to the Vatican from Termini but I enjoy it all. Take a good map and be careful crossing any street no matter how harmless the crossing may appear.

Posted by
1825 posts

Most RS recommended hotels in your price range are probably booked up by now. Having been there once I know my next trip will be an apartment rental in Trestevere. I would use Google maps and Trip Advisor.

Posted by
11 posts

Rome is our last stop we are going to be in florence then abruzzi region before heading to rome. Also I have heard getting to the FCO airport can be kind of a struggle we have a mid morning flight is there an area of hotels that might make this a bit easier? Thanks for the suggestions!

Posted by
23284 posts

Depends on how you define struggle. I would have the hotel arrange a shared shuttle. I think it was 36E for the two of us last year. The L Express is now 28E and you would have to get from your hotel to Termni and it is a bit of a hike inside Termini to the LE. For small price difference I would do the shuttle. Obviously hotels around Termini would make it easier to use the L Express to the airport.

Posted by
348 posts

Our last stay , we wanted to stay walking distance to trevi, spagna and panthoen. So we ended up near piazza berberini. Great location in my mind near Via Veneto and 50 meters to a Metro stop.

Posted by
11336 posts

Maria,
Try VRBO.com, Homestay.com, Cross-Pollinate.com. All great sources of affordable lodging. Take a taxi to the airport. At 50-55 euros, it's not any more expensive than two people on the L. Express, it's convenient, and the taxi will drop you at the right terminal: no additional bus to take.

Posted by
23284 posts

Someone needs to rework their math. Two tickets on the L Express is 28E, about half of the projected taxi ride.

Posted by
4407 posts

For clarity's sake, a trip from inside the Aurelian Wall (anyplace 'in' Rome you'll stay) to the airport is a set price of 45 euro for up to 4 people and a normal-sized bag each. Use official taxis; see your guidebook for that info.

Posted by
11336 posts

My error, Frank, I stand corrected. Meant to imply that for the extra cost the convenience might be worth taking a cab.

Posted by
784 posts

Maria, I just yesterday booked a great 1 bedroom apartment just outside the Vatican Museum for 126 euro per night., for next week. Unless you want the services of a hotel, you might do better with an apartment. I also have another apartment booked near Campo dei Fiori (a great central spot in the center of the city). We decided to stay longer and that apartment wasn't available to extend. So we'll do 3 nights in the Vatican area and then 5 nights in the Center. I used Sleepinitaly.com for both apartments and they have been fantastic!!! They only take a 10% deposit, they are very professional and helpful.

Posted by
32 posts

We stayed at Bed and Breakfast Al Centro di Roma. Room was comfortable and clean, location was outstanding. Right between Piazza Navona and Campo di Fiori. We didn't see the owner much, but we didn't need him. It was 105 euro per night the last week of May. Breakfast was a crossaint and coffee or cappuccino at the cafe across the street, but this is pretty typical in Italy.

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks for all of the suggestions I think that we have a place to book. --Maria