Please sign in to post.

Rome and south for 14 days in May 2017

We are planning a trip to Rome at the end of May this year. We visited Italy in 2015 with stops in Venice, Florence, Colle di Val d’Elsa in Tuscay, Cinque Terre, and 5 nights in Rome. This time we plan to stay in the southern part of Italy, starting and ending in Rome. Rental cars are an option for at least part of the trip, we rented one for the Tuscany part of our last trip.

We would like to visit the Amalfi Coast and we are considering Salerno as our base for 3-5 nights. Day trips up the coast, over to Capri, Paestrum, Pompei, and maybe Naples.

From there we are not decided but have thought about going a bit further south (Calabria area?) and possibly over to the Adriatic before heading back to Rome. We are still doing research and are seeking suggestions on how to set up this itinerary. The flights we are looking at land in Rome at 5:00 PM on May 20 and leave Rome at noon on June 3. This gives us 14 nights in Italy.

Thanks

David

Posted by
11613 posts

Instead of Calabria, which is beautiful, I suggest going inland to Matera, and possibly the trulli areas of Puglia. Two areas unlike anything else in Italy.

Posted by
27812 posts

I vote with Zoe. Matera and Puglia are strikingly different from the other places you are planning to visit. A car would be very helpful, because there are lots of wonderful small towns in the area that cannot be visited efficiently by bus or train. You could have a grand time with a car.

Posted by
1544 posts

You have 14 nights and 13 days in Italy. It seems you will spend the first night in Rome. Agree that Matera and Puglia would be a great addition to your trip. We spent 3 weeks there last year. Agree that you will need a car to get around after Salerno. It sounds like you have 5 nights (4 days) worth of activities planned for Salerno. With your first and at least the last night in Rome you need to see how many nights you will have to spend on your remaining itinerary. The most you would have is 5 or 6. If you do go to that area don't skip Matera (it's in Basilicata) and in Puglia don't miss Alberobello, two historic towns unlike any others. Interesting towns in Puglia are Lecce, Ostuni, Martina Franca, Locorotondo, Cisternino, and others. You will need at least 1 night in Matera so you would have to do some research and be selective in Puglia as there are many worthwhile towns to see. You could probably pick one town and do day trips from there. Hope you have a great trip!

Posted by
126 posts

Thanks for the replies so far.

Zoe and acraven: we are going to take your advice and head to Matera and Puglia

Carol: we will spend the first night in Rome

Some notes and a revised plan is below:

• Eliminate Capri and limit nights to 4 in Salerno (we did not enjoy Cinque Terre as much as we thought we would and are cautious it might happen along the Amalfi coast too)
  • I don’t know if there is any comparison with Naples but we enjoyed Madrid much more than Barcelona, we found it ‘grittier’ or more 'real'.
  • Rent car in Salerno and stop in Paestrum on the way to Matera
  • Is there a benefit to doing this plan in reverse?

Revised Plan:

1. Sat 20-May: arrive Rome at 17:00
  2. Sun 21-May: train to Salerno
  3. Mon 22-May: Salerno, perhaps visit towns of Amalfi Coast
  4. Tue 23-May: Salerno, Pompeii
  5. Wed 24-May: Salerno (Paestum?)
  6. Thu 25-May: Matera
  7. Fri 26-May: Salento Peninsula (stay in Lecce.)
  8. Sat 27-May: Salento Penisula (stay in Lecce?)
  9. Sun 28-May: Salento Penisula (Lecce?)
  10. Mon 29-May: Gargano Penisula (stay in Vieste?)
  11. Tue 30-May: Gargano Penisula (Vieste?)
  12. Wed 31-May: (where should we add this day?)
  13. Thu 01-Jun: Rome
  14. Fri 02-Jun: Rome
  15. Sat 03-Jun: 11:50 flight home

Are we getting close to a reasonable itinerary?

Thanks again

Posted by
171 posts

The Naples Archaeological Museum houses many of the items found in Pompeii - particularly items that are portable and might have been stolen or damaged if left in Pompeii. It is at the top of my list of sights to see in Naples.

I also enjoyed Paestum for its Greek Temples and mini museum.

Posted by
27812 posts

I think the Salento could use another day.

You have over two full days in Matera. I wonder whether that's more than you'll need. I'm not sure since I visited it on a multi-town van trip and only had a short time there (which certainly wasn't enough).

Posted by
126 posts

Thanks acraven! That makes sense and I have edited the plan to reflect the change. Only one night now in Matera.

Posted by
27812 posts

Wait! One night may not be enough. Didn't you have three nights before? I don't know how long the drive from Salerno will take. Wait till someone who's overnighted in Matera can weigh in. I know someone here has. Maybe Zoe or Agnes.

Posted by
126 posts

Thanks again acraven! I have also read a bit more and perhaps two nights is more appropriate. I will wait for additional advice before updating my plan.

Thanks

David

Posted by
1544 posts

We spent 3 nights in Matera and spent 2 days walking in the Sassi - one for Sassi Caveoso and one for Sassi Barisano. Granted we were in our late 60s/early 70s and probably took more time to walk and enjoy the architecture and buildings. If you want to rush, a day trip is enough. One night there will give you .5 days of walking after you check in to your lodging. Two nights will give you 1.5 days to explore. We can't tell you which you which would best fit your travel style, schedule, and interests. Researching and making your selections is part of the fun of travel - enjoy!

Posted by
4855 posts

Not sure what you did not like in Cinque Terre, but I imagine it was crowds. I found it easier to escape crowds on the Amalfi coast, but you will want to plan your day trips carefully (like use the ferry and not the bus, etc.). Don't skip Paestum, especially if you have not seen temples like that before. I would not skip Naples--at the very least the archaeological museum.
I could spend a week in Matera--read up on what is in the vicinity, as there is more than just the sassi.
I also recommend mapping some of these drives on the viamichelin website. Lecce makes a good base for the Salento, but I would probably not then drive all the way to Vieste--you are passing a good many nice places (always the case of course, but after scenic coastal drives in the south, do you want more, or would you prefer maybe the Itria valley.)