Please sign in to post.

Rome: Airport to hotel

Hello all. I'm planning some of our city travel in Rome. We will be flying in (Leonardo da Vinci - Fiumicino) and then heading to Hotel Monte Cenci in the Jewish Ghetto. Seeing as we will be exhausted, this is one step I want to have firmly planned out so I don't have to think too hard upon arrival! I know many recommend taking the metro to Stazione Termini, but I'm questioning if taking the bus (64 or 40) will be too difficult with our couple of bags.

Would it be better to spend the money and take a taxi?

Or, take the train on Line 8, which seems to involve a terminal switch. The map shows the two different terminals (Rome Trastevere). Is this true, or is it an intuitive and easy switch?

Thanks for the assistance if anyone has done this!

Posted by
11131 posts

Taxi is flat rate 48€ from FCO to city center. Or book a private driver which we do, usually close to the same price. We used Rome Limousine.

Posted by
24 posts

We are two. We're not traveling on a super tight budget, but I my thought right now is I would rather put in a bit of effort and save the $40 (from a taxi) for additional deliciousness during the trip. That's just my personal priority. That being said, I'm really very aware of my own immediate crankiness on getting off a plane, and maybe I should make this step easy on us. Once I've had some water and a snack I'm up for anything :)

Posted by
597 posts

"The fixed fare for a Rome taxi is €48 between FCO and central Rome (within the Aurelian walls) for up to four people and their luggage. The trip takes approximately 45 minutes to most parts of this central area. If your hotel is outside this area, you will have to pay whatever is on the meter." This might be a good option if there's more than 3 of you.

You can also take the Leonardo Express (about 14 euros) to Termini and then take a taxi to your hotel (4 km). I can't tell you how much the taxi will cost.

Posted by
2047 posts

We stay in the same neighborhood when we go to Rome. We take the local train from the airport (on the track next to the express trains) to the Trastevere ststion and then take tram 8 just across the street from the Trastevere station towards Lago Argentina. Looks like there’s a tram stop only a few blocks from your hotel. This option cost less than 10€ per person and takes less than an hour. We have taken this routing several times after a long flight and it’s not bad.

Posted by
24 posts

Becky - thank you! That's exactly what I was curious about, the switch from the train to the tram in Trastevere. I understand they are two separate, but very close, terminals. You've never found the walk from the train to the tram difficult? I'm questioning the ease of the wayfinding, not the physical walk.

Posted by
1232 posts

Depending on how tired you are, you might want to take a taxi or driver (romecabs is 50 euros). I would rather leave the airport, get in one car, and be dropped off at my door quickly. Yes, taking the train and the tram are easy, but you may have to wait awhile if one is late. You also have to buy tickets and find the stops, which is easy, once you get your bearings. I prefer to relax and freshen up a bit, then figure out the transportation system.

Posted by
2047 posts

Looks like it’s 8 tram stops from Trastevere to close to your hotel. I sent you a private message with more details.

Posted by
1018 posts

We always use romashuttle.com and the cost is the same as the taxi. it is door to door service and easy, easy. In the past we always used the Leonardo Express, but the door to door service is hard to beat. The driver waits outside of the frosted glass doors just past customs holding a sign with your name on it. You can make the reservation online and hold it with a credit card. You pay in cash when you reach your destination.

Buon viaggia,

Posted by
11294 posts

Now you know what's involved in both the taxi option and the train plus tram option. So, since on the one hand you want to save money, but on the other hand you are not sure how you will feel when you arrive, leave your options open. (This is what I often do). If on arrival you feel up to it, take the cheaper way. If you don't, take the taxi. Either way, you're prepared.

Posted by
24 posts

Thank you RB in PA for posting the information about Romashuttle.com! This is exactly what I was looking for.... someone waiting, holding a sign with my name followed by door to door service at a taxi cab price! The idea of trying to navigate the unknown after a long flight will only add stress to what is supposed to be a trip of a lifetime for us! I’ve already made my transport reservation through Roma. Much appreciated!
Grazie,
LM

Posted by
11 posts

I'm traveling alone next month to Rome in anticipation of the September 16 RS Heart of Italy Tour. The FCO Airport to hotel transportation piece was weighing heavily on my mind. I do so appreciate this tip about the romashuttle. com and suntransfers.com options. I will definitely be using one of them. I'm leaning towards the romashuttle option. I like the idea of someone waiting for me with my name on a sign...who is expecting and looking for me.

Posted by
2299 posts

hey CBKK
my honest opinion and 3 cents worth take a cab! when is this trip? after your long flight, going thru customs, carrying your luggage, using your fuzzy jet-lagged brain, exhaustion, on top of what metro/bus, what stop, are we there yet? enjoy the comfortable, maybe a wild and crazy ride to your hotel haha, front door service plus the driver most likely will lift your bags. it's a no brainer to me. a personal tip, we pack a bottle of wine and corkscrew in luggage, and its cheers for our arrival for a fun vacation to begin. enjoy
aloha

Posted by
1018 posts

For years we we've used romashuttle.com for door to door service and the price was the same as a taxi.

Buon viaggio,