Please sign in to post.

Rome airport to Civitavecchia

My husband and I are flying into Rome airport Oct. 9,2019. I understand a train from the airport to the Rome train station then another train to Civitavecchia is the most economical transport, however Rome2rio mentions a bus to Maccarese train station then a train to Civitavecchia. I am unable to determine the bus schedule from the airport to the train station. Has anyone had experience with this route?

Thank you.

Posted by
1585 posts
Posted by
7773 posts

Are you arriving the day of the cruise embarkation? How close is the timing? A car service would be the fastest, if the most expensive. Can you handle your luggage on and off multiple public transit vehicles? Into and back from Roma Termini Station is retracing a lot of mileage.

Posted by
78 posts

Thank you for your input and the links. We have allowed a day before we embark on the cruise. Yes we can handle our luggage. Of course would rather take a private transfer however would prefer to allocate those funds to lodging, sightseeing,etc.

Janie

Posted by
3812 posts

Rome has 12 train stations, maybe more. You'll take the FL1 airport train to Roma Trastevere, there you will transfer to a train to Civitavecchia. If you take the Leonardo Express airport train you will waste time going to Roma Termini station.

Rome2Rio tries to do too many things, use Trenitalia.com

Posted by
15900 posts

Go with Dario’s suggestion.

www.trenitalia.com
To: CIVITAVECCHIA
Enter a date (if too far in the future use one this week
Enter an hour using the 24hr clock (1pm is 13 for example).
11€ per person one way, all the way to Civitavecchia. From the station to the port there should be taxi cabs. Or you can walk the 1km to the port.

Posted by
7773 posts

Janie, wouldn’t you want to sleep that one night in Rome, not in forgettable Civitavecchia? In that case, it makes sense to take the Leonardo Express and then go to the nearest station to your hotel that has Civitavecchia service the next day. The hotel can store your bags until the room is ready on arrival day. There is no need to sleep in Civitavecchia to be sure of making the cruise departure.

Sometimes we use a car service from Rome because the train station is so far from the Port. BTW, very few car services can go INTO the port. The car or the bus from the train station takes you to a little bus station that has the port authority’s proprietary 49-passenger busses that go to each ship. They tell you which one does your ship. Same on disembarkation, except for the cruise line’s own transfers.