Please sign in to post.

Rome Airport Hotels

Does anyone have suggestions for hotels near Leonardo DaVinci airport for a very early departure (7am). In doing research there is a fantastic place near the ruins 9km away but my concern is taxi service. Is the Europa ok? I really don't want to spend $350 a night for the Marriott.

Posted by
3592 posts

I don't have a recommendation for you - - the place we stayed at in 2004 was dismal; but I have a warning. Our hotel's website said they had a free shuttle, a reason for us choosing it. When we arrived at the airport in the late afternoon, we called the hotel to be picked up. They told us to take a taxi; they had no shuttle. The taxi cost 30 euros (!) for approximately a mile ride. The clerk asked if we wanted her to arrange a morning "taxi" in a manner that suggested she knew the taxi drivers were ripping off the tourists. Her friend did the same drive for 15 euros, still outrageous considering the distance, but better than 30. We wound up spending 145 euros when the Hilton in the terminal was just 175. The upside was that we ate dinner at a place recommended by the clerk. Very friendly, great food, very inexpensive, filled with locals. I've heard that there's been some regulation of taxis since then, but you should be prepared for sticker shock.

Posted by
1127 posts

Unless you stay at the Hilton located at Fiumicino Airport you will land up taking a taxi to the airport. The hotel shuttle services don't operate until 7a. Stay in Rome's city center to avoid the overpriced airport hotels and have your hotel arrange a taxi to the airport. Early in the morning the ride will only take 30 minutes and you will be able to spend your last night walking the piazzas.

Posted by
689 posts

We just stayed in the Hilton at the airport. It was fantastic. The shuttle took us over at 4 am with no problems as the skybridge does not open until 5 am.

They have a great free shuttle into downtown. Drops you right near the Forum. Goes into the city on the even hours and back on the odd hours. Last shuttle back is 11 pm. It cost 195 euros/night but was worth it when you factor in the cost of transportation to the airport!

The restaurant was "ok".

Posted by
1449 posts

If you're already bought your tix then you are committed to Rome, but what I did the last trip was fly out of a small regional airport (Perugia, actually). There are Alitalia and other carriers that serve these small airports with a flight or two a day and fly into larger cities such as Milan or Rome. That way your last nite in Italy isn't spent at the airport but instead savoring a nice meal and bottle of chianti in a nice town. I think I only paid around 100E for the flight, making it pretty much free since I didn't have to get an expensive hotel in the Rome airport area.

Posted by
15 posts

We plan to stay in the Rome Airport Hilton on Monday night. Will let you know how it works!

Posted by
15 posts

We just stayed at the Airport Hilton. You don't need to worry about a shuttle as the Airport is a 5 minute (enclosed) walk from the hotel.