Please sign in to post.

rome airport

will be at the rome train station at 8:45, need to be at the airport terminal 5 for a 12:35 flight. am i better off taking the train or a taxi

Posted by
6898 posts

The Leonardo Express takes about 45 minutes and takes you to Terminal 3. To get to Terminal 5, I believe that you have to take inter-terminal transportation. If there are two or more of you, the fare on the LE will be at least 28E (14E each). Plus, there may be a cost for the bus between terminals. I'm not sure. The fixed fare for a taxi to the airport used to be 40E. It may now be a slightly bit higher. The taxi will take you directly to Terminal 5.

Posted by
1589 posts

What does "better off " mean to you? The train runs every half hour directly to the airport. A taxi will go as soon as you sit down.

Posted by
2 posts

thank you for your prompt response, the problem will be the taxi line and the time for the taxi trip.

Posted by
1018 posts

If you take the Leonardo from termini it will deposit you at Fiumicino and just follow the signs for T 5. You walk through the covered skyway, down a flight of steps, and wait for the free navette (shuttle) that will take you to T5. The navette runs every 5 or 10 minutes. We have used this method for years and it is easy. The Leonardo cost 14 euro per person. Buon viaggio,

Posted by
411 posts

Stephen another factor is where will you be staying in Rome, how much luggage you'll have and how many are in your party. If you're near the metro or bus, and it's just you, the Leonardo is fast and easy- just be sure to allow a bit of extra time to catch the shuttle to Terminal 5 then back to your departure point. For two people, and if you'll be a distance from the metro or bus stop as we'll be in June, a taxi can be a good alternative. With four people, as we had last June, we used Blue Car Service and were very pleased with them.

Posted by
2207 posts

The Leonardo Express departs from the Roma Termini Station at :22 and :52 after the hour. It takes 31 minutes by this train to get to the FCO Train Station. As mentioned, once at the FCO train station, you'll have to walk to the road in front of Terminal 3 and catch a FREE airport shuttle to Terminal 5 at FCO. You cannot really walk to T5 as it's too far and there's NO sidewalk. Thus, your limited to the timeliness of the shuttles. If you're in the train station at 08:45, then you have 7 minutes to get your ticket and get over to track 24 to catch the Leonardo Express . That would put you arriving at the Airport at about 9:23 after - if the train is on time. Figure 10-15 minutes (hopefully) to walk over to T3 and then ride the shuttle to T5. That puts you there at about 09:38 which should allow you time to check in. If you miss the 08:52 Leonardo Express, I'd be jumping in a taxi. The fact that you say you'll be at Roma Termini "at 08:45" makes me wonder if you're coming in by train... that really condenses your options if that first train is late.

Posted by
1170 posts

For getting to the airport to catch a flight, I would recommend hiring a car. Have your hotel or host pre-arrange this. The last time I was there it was 45 Euro flat rate. Not sure if this has gone up again.

Posted by
11349 posts

I agree with Scott. Arrange for a car to meet you at Termini and take you right to T5. Rome Cabs http://www.romecabs.com is very reliable. Their flat rate is €50 to FCO, and they drop you right at T5. It's less stressful that. Your other alternatives.