Please sign in to post.

rome accomodations

We want an inexpensive, safe place to stay in ROme in late December, early January. Any suggestions?

Posted by
576 posts

Last December 23-27 we stayed at the Hotel Nardizzi Americana.They often have an "Overbooking Special", which we used last year and got 2 Db for only 55 EUR per room, incl an all you can eat breakfast.Right now the current Xmas offer is 70 EUR for a Db, but I would expect that later they'll have an even better offer.This hotel,listed in Rick's guides is in a safe, convenient location.The historic building houses a church and apartments, and has a great, funky old iron elevator.Last year at Christmas, it was by far the best deal for the price.If you're staying a full week, you also might want to consider an apartment.

Posted by
204 posts

Name: Hotel Aberdeen
Address: Via Firenze 48, 00184, Roma, Italy
Phone: 06-482-3920
Fax: 06-482-1092
Email: [email protected]
WWW: http://www.travel.it/roma/aberdeen/
Price Range: 88 to 150E
Notes: Run by Annamaria, Cinzia and Sabrina and little classier than Oceania.

I strongly recommend the Aberdeen. You cannot find a nicer, more knowledgable staff. We stay nowher else.

Posted by
424 posts

I believe Hotel Italia meets the "inexpensive" safe place to stay in Roma as well. Walking distance from train station, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Colosseum etc. I will be back there in Mid-December.

http://www.hotelitaliaroma.it/en.htm

Posted by
15 posts

I stayed at Hotel Italia in May (traveled solo) thought it was convenient to everything and the staff was very helpful when I was planning my daily outings.

Posted by
44 posts

Another positive experience with Hotel Italia (just returned)!

Posted by
1005 posts

We stayed at Hotel Italia in the summer of 2002 and Hotel Smeraldo in the summer of 2006. I would recommend both of them. You won't have to worry about heat in Dec. but if you are ever going in the summer Hotel Smeraldo has wonderful full blast air cond. It is conveniently located a few minutes from Campo di' Fiori. Hotel Italia also has air cond. and ceiling fans and was very comfortable also

Posted by
44 posts

We stayed in a double room in Hotel Italia 2 (their rooms across the street) and did not have a ceiling fan. We asked for a portable fan but they did not have that either. We finally had to pay the extra 10 euros per night for a/c. The last night there it was just me so I moved to a single in the main building--again no fan so 10 extra euros. We liked Hotel Italia but our plan to do w/o a/c (as we did in Florence with a fan) did not work out.

Posted by
157 posts

Stayed with my son in March 2006 at the Adler Hotel in Rome. Very safe, nice, very clean, & inexpensive hotel.

Located near the train station & found it thru Rick Steve's 2006 Italy Guide

Posted by
45 posts

We stayed at Gulliver's Place Bed and Breakfast and loved it, very reasonable rates, great service and a wonderful breakfast was included in the price (we paid 90 Euros a night for two adults and a baby). The room we had was very large. It also has free internet. The place is about a 10 min. walk to Termini station, we never felt unsafe in this location and it was handy to get around Rome and if you plan some day trips it is nice to be handy to Termini station as well.

Posted by
1127 posts

Gulliver's Lodge is owned by the same people that run Gulliver's Place. If one is booked try the other. Also Nicolas Inn near the Forum/Colisseum.

Posted by
17 posts

We used http://www.b-b.rm.it/ to find an apartment in Rome. There are lots of options and prices. We stayed at "code 093". Initially we weren't sure about the neighborhood, but it was just fine. Just 5 min walk to the metro (one stop from Termini), one of the best and oldest gelatto places 1 minutes from the apt, and the owner and his assistant are absolutely gracious. Can walk to the Colosseum, and a market around the corner. The apartment looks just like the pictures on the web site. We loved having a home. And they emptied the trash and made sure we had fresh towels every day.