Please sign in to post.

Rome accommodations?

First of all, thanks to those who gave suggestions re Tuscany/Florence etc! We found a great Airbnb in Florence and have booked a week there. All the suggestions greatly helped. Now we need similar help for Rome.
We are healthy seniors, don’t mind steps, enjoy walking and can do quite a bit of that daily. We have 6 nights in Rome so can we book an Airbnb for a week and get the discount even if we skip the last night?
Or we don’t mind a hotel as an option. If booking hotel, we are looking at moderate pricing, nothing fancy or extravagant. Lastly, we’d like suggestions for which neighborhood? We’ve heard Travestere is good and still walkable to most major points of interest.
Thanks in advance. We will be there mid September.

Posted by
2975 posts

Trastevere is where you want to stay. It’s been a while since I’ve been to Rome, but not only was Trastevere up and coming, it was trendy, artsy and very bohemian like with great foodie places.

Posted by
328 posts

We were last in Rome in 2017. We had a great apartment on Piazza Farnese in the historic center and a block or so away from Campo dei Fiori. Perfect location, with a view of the Vatican dome from our terrace. The evening we visited the Trastevere, it was jammed. Fun but extremely crowded with long waits for restaurants without a reservation. Piazza Farnese was much quieter, yet a block away you had Campo dei Fiori.

Posted by
7414 posts

Our last Rome stay had a great Trastevere apartment, that we found on Vrbo.com . It was just around the corner from a police station, so a really safe neighborhood, but close to a tram stop for getting to downtown Rome or the Vatican, the local outdoor market, and grocery stores, “Tavola Calda” shops with ready-made, take away or reheat courses, and fresh pasta stores.

Some dog walkers didn’t necessarily clean up after their dogs. so there were some “land mines” on the sidewalks, but not sure if that’s Trastevere, or Rome, or just a big city.

Posted by
288 posts

Hi,

I love The Beehive. They have a variety of lodging choices including apartments and private rooms. The family that runs it is great and provides lots of resources. The Beehive is only a few minutes from Termimi.

Sharon

Posted by
3137 posts

https://www.booking.com/hotel/it/around-the-corner-colosseo.en-gb.html?aid=304142&label=gen173bo-1DCA4oggI46AdICVgDaCeIAQGYAQm4ARfIAQ7YAQPoAQH4AQaIAgGYAiGoAgO4AubPmeYFwAIB&sid=f60a41bb458dba8ef1c1fe86cfa451ba&dest_id=2282&dest_type=district&dist=0&group_adults=2&group_children=0&hapos=1&hpos=1&no_rooms=1&room1=A%2CA&sb_price_type=total&sr_order=popularity&srepoch=1624313688&srpvid=f7139c6c3a48011a&type=total&ucfs=1&activeTab=photosGallery

I don't why this link is so long, sorry!
However, my friend and I stayed at this charming B and B apartment in Sept. 2019.
It's called " Around the Corner Colosseo", and is on Booking.com.
It's walking distance, about 8 minutes, from Termini Train Station; and is run by two delightful sisters.
It had a kitchen but no cooktop.
Microwave, fridge, etc. and they do give you juice, milk, packaged pastries etc.
It's a bedroom, a bathroom, a kitchen, and some easy chairs in the hall.
The listing says balcony, but we didn't see one you could sit out on.
So it's more of a B and B than an apartment; though you would be the only guests.
They live in the building, and have their office on the same floor.
Elevator up after climbing one flight of stairs from the street.
It was spotless, and had great AC.
My friend obsessed over the quality of the bedsheets!
They were so kind, and one evening left me an icepack for my sore knee.
I would stay there again in a second.

Posted by
23314 posts

IMO, Trastevere is not that convenient. It is a more quiet and little bit off the main tourist routes. Looks at a map. Kind of a neat area and great to visit. BUT -- where you stay is strictly personal preference. We always stay in the Termini area because of the convenience to transit. And everything is very walkable. The Vatican is about an hour walk on the opposite side. We have used Hotel Sonya and Aberdeen. Aberdeen is very popular with many from the RS side. My wife prefers Sonya because she thinks the lattes are better but it is a small difference. The area around Termini is busier and more commercial but has several excellent restaurants, street market. Sonya is across from the Opera House and about three blocks from Termini. One advantage to this area is that many city buses, trams, circle through Termini. As a result if you get lost, are deep in the city and want to get back to your hotel, you can grab any bus that has Termini in the overhead window . Get on, validate your tickets, and you are back at Termini without having to know the bus route.

Have you considered staying at a Catholic accommodation? We had lovely stays in Rome, Orvieto, Florence and near Sorrento, all within the walls of church "inns". Most were run by nuns, with one run by brothers. All offered a warm welcome, clean room with private bath, and some level of breakfast included. They don't push religion at all, but do offer a measure of sweetness, safety, and tranquility not found in hotels. And we felt our money went to a good cause, since many of these orders are struggling. We booked through monasterystays.com.

Posted by
2975 posts

Trastevere is not that convenient.

That depends on how deep you stay in Trastevere. The train station is 15-minutes from the airport or 30-minutes by bus. The closer you are to the River Tiber, the more convenient it will be.