Please sign in to post.

Rome

Hello

We will be visiting Rome for the first time in May. We will be there May 24 through 28 and have 3 full days and a little over a half of a day. We want to go to the Vatican, see trevi fountain, Spanish steps, Roman forum, and Colosseum. We are staying very near to the colosseum.

Are guided tours of the colosseum necessary and worth it? I read somewhere about a combined for ticket for Roman forum, palatine Hill, and colosseum underground and upper areas but the English ones are already all sold out on the site https://www.coopculture.it.
Other recommendations?
We’ve never really done guided tours in the past but if they are necessary we will

What else do we need tickets for and do they need to be bought in advance?

Thank you

Posted by
676 posts

I’d say get a guide - it’s hard to distinguish what you’re looking at sometimes, especially the Palatine Hill area. We used Through Eternity on our first trip for the Forum and the above ground Colosseum and we had a wonderful guide who definitely enhanced our experience. On our second trip, we did an underground tour of the Colosseum with Coop and it was a great experience - very cool to see that part of the Colosseum and learn the history. If they’re sold out, I believe there are other groups who offer tours just at a more expensive price than Coop. I definitely found the experience worthwhile.

I also highly recommend Domus Aurea; it put so much of what we had seen of Ancient Rome that was above ground into context and helped me visualize what Rome would have used to look like. Not sure if you’ll have time this trip or not but it’s definitely worthwhile.

Posted by
4080 posts

For me, no guided tour means you will just 'see' stuff. A tour helps you learn and understand what you are seeing. The Forum can be a pile of rocks if you just look at it. Still great to see, but there is so much more. I'd say the same thing about the Vatican. We used 'Through Eternity Tours' for the Colosseum/Forum as well as the Vatican. For the Forum, our tour guide had written her thesis on Roman sewer systems and had themed our tour around that. It may not sound like the most interesting topic but it gave the tour more personality and added an extra dimension. Our guide for the Vatican was a PHD in Art History. We didn't just look at paintings on the wall-which would have bored me to death, we learned about the history and the corruption of the Church and how people were hiring artists and having themselves painted into holy scenes-"If I'm paying for this painting then I want to be standing next to an apostle in it." Guides aren't necessary, but in my mind, a good one is worth the expense.

Posted by
50 posts

I'll agree strongly with Allan that you will get much more out of the Forum with a guide. Well worth it, even if you just hire someone for that site and don't get into a group tour.

As to other things that require buying tickets ahead of time, I recommend visiting the Borghese Gallery if your schedule allows for it. The tickets reserve a specific entry time and give you a set 2 hour window for seeing everything. Buy them when you have an idea of what timeframe you want.

Also, even if you visit the Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon during the day, make sure you stop and see them in the evening. The atmosphere at night is wonderful for both. And they're free, so no harm in seeing them a few times.

Posted by
7643 posts

I don't think you need a guide for the Coliseum, but you should prepare yourself in advance by reading up on the history and features in the Coliseum.
I do think a guide is much better for the Palantine Hill and Forum. The Palantine Hill has former Caesar's palaces and the Forum has so many structures that a guide can explain the history.

Don't miss going to the Pantheon and Trajan's Forum, The Castel St. Angelo (Hadrian's mausoleum), Capitoline Museum and of course St. Peter's as well as the Sistine Chapel. There is more, but you probably don't have time.

Posted by
23245 posts

We always use live guides for one simple reason -- it is interactive -- you can ask questions and get answers. Second, audio guides are OK because they give good information but don't beat a live person. After spending lots of money to get there why would I want to save maybe $50 to wonder around looking at things that I might not have a clue as to their significance.

Posted by
8 posts

Can anyone share any websites with the tours they did of the colosseum?
And also a tour of the Vatican?

Thanks
kay

Posted by
23245 posts

We used Angel tours and were very pleased with them. And you can always check with the local TI. We have always had good results from the TIs.