Please sign in to post.

Roma Pass: worth it?

Hi,
We will be arriving in Rome on May 22nd afternoon. Planning to take it easy that evening, just do Rick Steves Heart of Rome walk. On 23rd morning planning to ancient Rome and then on 24th, the Vatican. We will be using public transport. Is it worth buying the Roma Pass? We are a group of 3 adults.
I am a little hesitant because the Roma pass will have to be purchased only after we reach Rome. So I can't make prior reservations to visit any site. Cost savings look attractive though.
Am I missing something?

Posted by
317 posts

You can buy the pass online. I have used it a couple of times and, if you really use it, it is worth it. Just try to make your first 2 sites the most expensive ones. The public transportation is a bonus too. Just make sure the pick up point is convenient for you, they have several options.

Posted by
15825 posts

Shom, you can make advance reservations for the Colosseum and Galleria Borghese (the only two attractions which REQUIRE that you do so) before you purchase the pass. See 7.1 "For which museums it is necessary to make a reservation? How can I book?" in the FAQ section of the Roma Pass website:

https://www.romapass.it/en/faq/#:~:text=For%20Borghese%20Gallery%2C%20reservations%20are,at%20romapass.ticketone.it.

This text appears in the booking instructions for both of them:
" Reservations can be made directly from the visitor’s home country, even before purchasing the Card."

Reductions on other attractions - after you've used the pass for the one or two it covers - are usually small (link for the list below), and you can't use it for transport to/from the airport. It also doesn't cover anything at the Vatican.

https://www.romapass.it/files/doc/museums_price_of_tickets_eng.pdf

I'm not personally a fan of the pass - although it has worked for others - so have never used the reservation process and can't really answer further questions about it; just passing along what the website states. :O)

Posted by
488 posts

We found the pass worthwhile. Picked them up at Termini Station, they'll ask for everyone's passport.

Visited the Colosseum and Palestine Hill/Forum in the morning, no issues getting in, line was brief. Used RS Self-Guided Tours which was a big help for the two seniors we had with us. We used the subway quite a bit, along with a couple of bus rides I think that alone was a big help.

Posted by
15825 posts

Visited the Colosseum and Palestine Hill/Forum in the morning, no
issues getting in, line was brief.

No idea how long ago you did this but our OP MUST have advance reservations for the Coloseum.