Please sign in to post.

Roma Pass questions

Traveling in July with my wife and 2 teenage daughters, including 4 full days in Rome. Our fourth day in Rome will be at the Vatican (pristine Sistine tour already booked). We are planning to visit the colosseum/forum, the borghese and Ostia on the other days for sure, all of which are covered by the Roma pass, so I am thinking it makes sense for us, especially when taking into account the unlimited transit that comes with the pass. However it is my understanding that my daughters would have free admission the the coliseum/forum as well as the borghese. So maybe it doesn't make sense to get the Roma pass for them, rather just a 3 day transit pass? If we have a Roma pass which allows us to bypass the ticket line at the coliseum, do my daughters still need tickets even if they are free? If that's the case then we would still have to stand in the ticket line.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonably priced private guide for the coliseum/forum? Thanks to everyone in advance!

Posted by
1054 posts

Unless I have this wrong, I would get the Roma Pass for the adults, and just a seperate transit ticket for the kids.

The Coloseum website (http://www.coopculture.it/en/colosseo-e-shop.cfm) has free: european and non-european people under 18. I don't have kids but since they are free entry I would imagine they just stand with you and enter with the Roma Pass line.

The borghese Gallery you still need to make a reservation even with a the Roma Pass. It's not a museum you just show up to without an entry time. Kids are free there but you have to call them to make a reservation. Tell them you have Roma Pass for # adults, and then you also need kids ticket. (The website charges 2 euro for the reservation fee for kids and the ticket itself is 0.) http://www.galleriaborghese.it/eng/galleriaBorghese.html

Posted by
11613 posts

One more thing about the Borghese ticket - you can call the phone number, English is spoken, and reserve your spot - tell them you are using the Roma Pass. Arrive about 30 minutes early, you will have to check everything you carry in except for what you can fit into a small bag they will give you (no worries, it's a staffed cloakroom). Only a limited number of people are allowed in every two hours, and the galleries are cleared before the next group comes in. If you want to swim against the tide, start at the top and work your way down.

Posted by
4152 posts

If your daughters are under 18 they qualify for free entry to the sites you mention, except the Vatican museums. They won't need a romapass but you will need to bring their passports with you as proof of age for entry (it's the law to carry your passports anyway so just make sure they're handy).

Your daughters will still need to pick up free tickets for the sites. You can book these online for the colosseum if you wish or just get them when you get to the site. Just go to the special events desk.

For the Borghese gallery you'll need to call to book the reservation, it can't be done over the phone when using the pass. Just let them know you'll be using the pass for free entry.

Just as an F.Y.I, one of the sites won't be free. It's only the first two entries that are free. Ostia Antica is the least expensive so that should be your reduced price visit.

Donna

Posted by
11294 posts

"For the Borghese gallery you'll need to call to book the reservation, it can't be done over the phone when using the pass."

What Donna meant to say is "it can't be done over the Internet when using the pass."

Donna has posted on this many times, so I know she knows, and just made a typo. But I just wanted to clarify for you and anyone else reading this.